Zonealarm free firewall and antivirus?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by grow14me2, Oct 31, 2010.

1. grow14me2

grow14me2 Goat Trainee

I have been using Win XP, and it comes with a firewall, which I have never really done anything with.

I recently found this overview of firewalls on ZoneAlarms site:

ZoneAlarm by Check Point - Award winning PC Protection, Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware, Identity Protection, and much more.

They clearly know there stuff, so I am thinking about getting their free firewall.

It seems if you want a completely free anti-virus solution, then the ZoneAlarm free firewall would significantly increase your security.

I also heard that if you are using anti-virus software, that it is better to use the free Zonealarm firewall then the WinXP firewall.

Is it because the Zonealarm firewall is more configurable or user friendly?

Why is it better?

Is this also the case for Win 7?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

All though Zonealarm is good, Just not my favorite, Zonealarm has allot of problems and does not work well with allot of other software..I do not recommend it.. There is a big difference between windows XP firewall and windows 7 firewall... XP firewall only protects you one way.. And Windows 7 is a much better firewall... As for Antivirus , i would use AVG free or If you want a good setup with AV and firewall, then use PC tools .. It is free.. If you do a little research on google you can find allot of AV and firewall for free..

3. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

I use zone alarm on one computer and Komodo on another for firewalls. I really dont have a problem with either of them and they are both free. For Antivirus, I used to use AVG but it seemed to take up a lot of system resources, so now both my computers are running Avast which is free as well. You just need to register it every year which is kind of a pain but hey, its free :)

4. daniel9ds

daniel9ds Geek Trainee

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Daniel from Pennsylvania, US.

5. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hello and welcome :)

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I'd like to throw something out there to all of you regarding Antivirus software:

I've been an avid AVG fan for years now. I was looking to see if there was something better out there and to my surprise, Microsoft won me over with "Microsoft Security Essentials". Its very simply and easy to use and according to this forum, MSE has better detection than AVG but AVG has better features. Download it here

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Welcome to the forum daniel9ds, and Scorps65 , I will look into Microsoft Security...

8. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Definitely have a look at it. I should've noted that it takes up more resources than AVG but only by 10-15mb.

9. grow14me2

grow14me2 Goat Trainee

Hey guys, thanks for the advice!!!