3.5 mm stereo socket for laptop

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by bandit, Apr 1, 2009.

1. bandit

bandit Geek Trainee

Hi all,

I am looking for a 3.5 mm stereo "socket" for my laptop. I have tried searching on internet but have been unable to find it can anybody guide me to where I can find it for cheap.

STORY: I have a dell inspiron 9300 laptop. Maybe due to age or too much use the internal sound card "socket" has developed problems. When I insert headphone jack etc in the socket sound only comes from one channel i.e the right channel. If I twist the jack or put force on it sometimes sound comes from second channel. I have tried many options so I know the problem is with the socket hardware itself and not with sound card/drivers/jack etc. I plan to buy a new socket with which I can solder/replace the existing one. The existing socket is a surface mounted one so its a tough job but I dont want to buy external soundcard. If somebody can advise me how to fix the current socket without desoldering or guide to me where I can buy a new socket I shall be highly obliged. I have tried searching online but the search didnt yield any results. Have tried radioshack, bestbuy but couldn't find the socket.

If I you need any further details please ask.

Thanks a lot

2. zeus

zeus out of date

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try here

or on google by clicking this >> [google]PCB Mounted 3.5mm Stereo Socket[/google]