8800GTS and my old PSU .. Help

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Meddi, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Meddi

Meddi Geek Trainee

Hello, I was wondering if my current PSU can handle a 8800GTS.
    I have absolutely no idea what to look for so I took a picture of some specifications.

LCPower 420 Watts
    http://i19.tinypic.com/2i8ys1d.jpg

Thanks.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The specs look alright...however, I'm unfamiliar with this brand. If it came with your case or is light, then I'd invest in something else. If you purchased it separately from your case and it's got some heft to it, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Just know that nVidia lists a 450W power supply as the minimum. However, if the 12V rails hold water, it looks like it's been under rated.

3. Meddi

Meddi Geek Trainee

4. Meddi

Meddi Geek Trainee

Everything is running nicely, I've been playing Oblivion for a couple of hours just to see if it would crash or not, but so far it's rock stable - With my old psu :)

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you do decide to switch PSU's, the Corsair units are getting very high marks, so they would be an excellent pick.

6. Meddi

Meddi Geek Trainee

I'll be getting a gig of ram too and I'm not sure if it can handle all that.
    So to be on the safe side I've purchased this: W0099 POWER EXPRESS 250W (first time ever I've seen a dedicated vga psu) and it works pretty good. Easyy installation too.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've not used those VGA PSU's before, but they seem to do the job. Even if you didn't need it, I don't see it hurting anything.