ADSL PPP Connection

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by urb1972, Sep 12, 2005.

1. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

LAN or Internet connectivity is the thing I know least about with computers, so here goes...

Since I first had broadband, two and a half years ago, I've been using a Zoom ADSL 5510 modem (which is USB). Every one of my friends, who got broadband a lot more recently, started off with a router and ethernet connection. I started off with a 500k connection and it has gradually been increased to 2meg which I have now, but still with the ol' Zoom.

Am I not getting my best speed with this setup. Is it worth me getting a router now, or wait (as I was going to do) until Xmas when my girlfriend moves in? She will have her own PC and I was going to have mine as the hard-wired Ethernet connection, wirelessly routing to a wireless network card that I'm gonna install on hers (we don't need it for file sharing/accessing the same printer. As I'm primarily using the internet for gaming (and her just for browsing) I figured that would be the best way of doing it (am I right?) and while I'm on the subject, is there a way of capping bandwidth to the wireless PC so it just gets enough for its browsing, say, while I get the most for multiplayer gaming, or is the bandwidth-sharing automated? :eek:hah:

2. shanegfowler

shanegfowler Geek Trainee

Yes you can find programs out there to limit the amount of bandwidth you would allow your girlfriends computer to use.

SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager

http://www.download.com/SoftPerfect-Bandwidth-Manager/3000-2085_4-10386953.html?tag=lst-0-1
    good luck!

urb1972 and Addis like this.