Afghan- Portable PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ashinms, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ashinms

ashinms Geek

Hi all. I'm facing an interesting computer build soon. You see, I'm in the air force as a heavy equipment operator, and we deploy on a six-month-on, six-month-off cycle. I just got out of training and still have a couple of months till my first deployment, and was wanting to ask some advice on a super-portable, super- rugged, super- small- formfactor PC.
    It would probably make more sense to get a laptop, but the price to power ratio is a little off for my liking. I do a lot of video and picture editing along with a bit of light gaming, so I just sometimes feel that laptops don't do exactly what I want. I was thinking about it when the idea of a lan party type computer with maybe a Phenom II X6 (AMD fan) and about 8 gigs of ram crossed my mind.
    I started thinking about I/O, too, and was wondering about a USB powered touchscreen monitor for all interaction, completely ditching a mouse and keyboard to save room. (Is that even possible?)
    I've been told that the power at some of the larger bases is pretty reliable and that it's standard United States AC, but that on some of the smaller bases that it can get kinda unreliable, beings that the generators that supply it are prone to breakdowns and surges, so power protection is a must.
    Also, reliability is important. I doubt an RMA 15,000 miles away is the easiest thing ever, so my parts can't just crap out on me at random. This is further complicated by the extreme conditions, super- cold at night, super- hot in the day, sand and grit flying around, even in living quarters.
    All this in the 1800 to 2300 dollar range. Thanks for your suggestions...

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

I think the best brand of portable computers in your situation would be Getac.

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

I think the best brand of portable computers in your situation would be Getac.