AGP slot broken?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jari, Dec 19, 2006.

1. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I find it strange that motherboard works and displays picture when the VGA is pluggen in the integrated VGA port but not when you install some AGP card and put the VGA on that. Doesn't that seem to strange you to you as well? I'd imagine if something is broken then the whole mobo would at least malfunction.
    I have tried using two AGP cards but neither one of them give any signal to the monitor and the other one's coolor doesnt even run.

Is there anything you can try at these situations? I have only tried changing AGP speed from 8x to 4x in BIOS.

Thanks.

2. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

How good is your power supply? Remember that anything plugged into the AGP slot is drawing power from your main wattage and if your power isn't sufficient enough, your graphics card can fail to work (When I used to have power issues the first thing that malfunctioned was my VGA)

Mike

3. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Good point there. The power supply seems to give 230v.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you need to disable the onboard grfx, in the BIOS try "Intergrated Peripherals"[ot]or something like that[/ot]BTW: check your mobo manual

Edit: what is the make & model of your PSU

and please post your specs

5. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I cannot find that option from "Intergrated Peripherals". And unfortunately I dont have manual for this. But the model of the motherboad is k8vm800mae.

Sorry, what is PSU?

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

PSU = Power Supply Unit

who manufactured the mobo (motherboard) ?[ot]or who manufactured the system[/ot]

7. jari

jari Geek Trainee

I think it's gigabyte? that what it says on the box. Then it has a label "via" on the board.

Wait, it reads Acer when it boots.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, Acer use Gigabyte mobo's,

VIA = the chipset manufacturer

you can download a mobo manuel from Gigabytes website[ot]you just need revision number (REV x.xx)[/ot]i think your mobo is this, this, or this choose a mobo and download the correct manual

9. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Alright, thank you! I determined from the picture that it's -RH but I also noticed they all have the same manual.

The manual seems to have some information regarding frequency / voltage control but that's about it what I can find about BIOS settings.

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ok, which server did you download from
    or where are you (country)

11. jari

jari Geek Trainee

I'm in Finland so I probably used europe link.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, I'm in UK, please let me download the manual, and look at it then tell you what to do[ot]hope that's ok[/ot]

13. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Can you swap and try somebody else's power supply in your system which is bigger than yours...

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i don't understand this:confused: , your right about the BIOS manual, my mobo is also a Gigabyte, and i disabled the onboard grafx in the <BIOS> <Integrated Peripherals>[ot]but i can't find the setting in my mobo manual:doh: [/ot]BTW: unless you disable the grafx using 1 of the bundled software utilities[ot]i will keep looking[/ot]

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i'll PM Karan, because this is just confusing

16. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

You dont need to disable the onboard graphics on some mobos because they are automatically set to change unless you are trying to run PCI graphics card. But I am not fully sure with my statement thats why didnt write about this earlier (nd may b thats the reason u didnt find it in the manual)..:eek:hah:

So I doubt if the problem is clash between onboard and AGP graphics....
    @Jari, please confirm with your PSU...

17. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Thanks for taking look a look!

But could some one say that is it possible that the AGP slot is broken?

18. NeloForster

It is possible that the AGP port is damaged but the best way to diagnose a problem is to exhaust all other possibilities first. It's always best to check if it's something that can be resolved without replacing a part before coming to the conclusion that buying a new part is inevitable.

You really should tell us what brand of power supply you are using. It might just not be enough to fully power your setup with a standalone graphics card.

Mike

19. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Ok the PSU is "fortron / source"
    And the numbers I found from it are: W10368555 , FSP300-69BT (12v)

20. NeloForster

Thanks, and also the exact model of the AGP graphics card you're using please. Other hardware you have needs to be listed to so I can assess how much power your PC needs to run and how much power it's getting or needs.

Thanks,

Mike