Air rifle Gun advice /or gun forums

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dwarfer, May 30, 2007.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hi I'm looking for buying a rifle /sniper rifle for very accurate shooting in range of about 0 - 150yds for hunting and wondering what would be best

so if you know of any gun forums or if you know a lot about guns please let me know..

cheers

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

wtf?

ok, I'm just very very confused!

I had you down as an animal rights activist / supporter, and you also claim to be 'vegitarien' (its vegetarian btw)... and yet you hunt?

please tell me how the hell you can justify hunting any animal (even if it doesn't include tearing it apart or chasing it across the countryside) if you not even going to :swear: eat it?

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

me three, but personally i have a webley Spectre 2, it's very easy cock & fire[ot]but they've stopped making the Spectre 2 that i bought[/ot]i'm very very happy with it, my rifle: .22 - less accurate than .177, 8 shot precharged, but it's a but easier for me[ot]cos i'm disabled[/ot]my dad has a BSA SuperTen & a pistol[ot]cant remember what make & model[ot]think its a webley, & apparently its very much like firing a real handgun[/ot]

BTW: i only shoot targets @ PARC but i havent being in a while

4. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

ok its not for hunting per say, its to shoot them :swear: birds around out house coz they're getting on my boobs 4am they start 'cooing' and 'singing' they're just asking for it

5. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

To have any sort of effect, your going to have to wipe out all the birds from your area... and even then more are just going to come back.

your never going to manage to kill all of them, and you don't even need to kill them... the bang will scare them away, and you don't need a gun to make a bang!

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

OH MAN, you mean like a pellet gun, well beeman, enough said, they make a spring/air pellet gun that shoots 1000 fps, its real nice, i have one :D.

7. zeus

zeus out of date

Like Impotence said, your gonna have to kill most if not all the birds around your home to get rid of the pest. It takes months! Your better off spreading feed somewhere away from your home. Even that can cause trouble though because you might attract them to an area where there is no natural food so you'll have to pick a good place to bait them. Or just repeatedly smash the nests, the birds wont keep coming back to somewhere they cant breed.

We are limited to a pitiful psi in this country when it comes to air rifles, you will be lucky to hit any animal (or small target for that matter!) 150 yards away, let alone kill it!
    I had a mate who used to work for pestokill and I used to go shooting pigeons in railway stations at night with him. He was allowed a slightly higher powered rifle than you can get in the shops and it was good for 40-50 metres on the pigeons. My standard rifle would barely knock them off their perch at that distance!

Id be looking at Weihrauch if I wanted to kill things.
    Weihrauch-Sport

Use flathead pellets. I used to use pointed pellets but after my pestokill mate gave me flatheads ive never looked back. They do far more damage!
    Either that or a 410 shotgun, but I dont know how licensing stands with them.

Donkey, how does your precharge compare to standard air guns? I have only ever had a precharge pistol (the now illegal Brocock ME .38 compact, im waiting for the next amnesty! Maybe I shouldnt say that :guns: ) and thought it was pretty crap compared to the Webley tempest.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it's still very limited to the 12 ft/lb limit imposed on spring rifles[ot]i think the limit on air handguns was 6 ft/lb, but it may have changed[/ot]BTW: .177 is much more accurate than my .22[ot]e.g. a .177 throws it like a baseball player but .22 throw the pellet overarm[/ot]

Edit: [ot]
    i call them Wine Rack[/ot]

Edit: in conclusion precharged and spring rifle follow the same restrictions, so distance shooting / killing @ a distance of over about 75 -100 yds will be a problem[ot]precharged rifles are just easier to use and faster to shoot than springers[/ot]

Edit:

Source

9. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I got one of those. A HW 50 M/II.
    I can kill a fly at a distance of about 50 yards
    [ot]I'm very accurate with a scope :D[/ot]

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah right, is that with the rifle in a vice[ot]
    what scope do you have?[/ot]

11. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I dunno, it is the stock scope of this rifle.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well thats not very helpful[ot]but it looks about 3 - 9 X 35, i think mines a 10 - 36 X 50, but rifles at my parents, i could be wrong[/ot]BTW: the specs of the scope are usually around the Erm Erm Erm, i think its called the rectical[ot]haven't being shooting for a couple of years, so, i'm struggling to remember stuff[/ot]