AMD Athlon 64 FX-64 vs. Intel Core2 Duo X6900

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by vol7ron, Aug 10, 2006.

1. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Well they're not on the shelves, but preliminary benchmarks are in: www.hardwarezone.com® :: Articles - Coolest Hardware, Hottest Reviews

It seems as though the FX-64 is about as good as the Conroe E6600. While the E6600 is lower in the gaming portion, the FX-64 is lower everywhere else. This being said the benchmarks did not have the processors overclocked. Would this have an impact? YES. Conroe is now known for their ability to overclock like a motherfu**er. The E6600 is still a better buy. Not to mention its less than half the price of the FX line.

2. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

AMD Athalon 64 FX-64 vs. Intel Core2 Duo X6900

volt7ron what sys are you running at the moment cuz your "my computer" button is not enabled. off topic for sure!

why are the conroe cpu's so damm fast and cheap(relaively). the fx62 is very recent and the conroes from what uve said are kiking amd's #&^

3. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

AMD Athalon 64 FX-64 vs. Intel Core2 Duo X6900

My Computer has been messed up, I think Sniper is fixing it, but it lists the computer I'm currently using. My new system should be set up Monday, you can see the specs here http://www.hardwareforums.com/85940-show-post-15/

Intel is kicking AMDs ass in every way. Why? Because they're running dual core on a 65 nanometer setup right now. For the first time they're not focusing on clock speed, but more on the chip. Unlike the Pentium D (dual cores), which each had a core with it's own memory bank, the Conroe line has two cores that share a memory bank, which is a much better setup.

Another benefit is that the 65nm means less materials, less vol7ages and power consumption, but more importantly: less heat. These cookies can overclock until their heart is content. Finally the Conroe X-series (X6800 and X6900) have purely unlocked multipliers, which allows it to go anywhere. The only problem I see on the Conroe line is that the memory controller is still on the motherboard and not on the processor (unlike AMD, which is why AMD has been better for gaming in the past - and probably will be when they release they're 65nm chips).

4. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

sweet rig!. just for intrest(dont say if youre not keen) how much did that set u back.

That case is awsome!

So what made u finally decide on that mobo in the end

5. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

I'm not really sure. I had something like $4000 to spare so I decided to build a decent system, but there are other things I'm going to get in the future (water cooler, new video card, LCD monitor, new gaming mouse).

I wanted a silver case, and this fit that description, I was more in love with the power supply. It has thing cords that will fit underneath the motherboard, it's modular designed so you can plug in the cords you need and not have the extra cords hanging inside and blocking airflow, and it has a mirrored titanium finish, so I can see my reflection. I'm really curious how the finish is going to work with the case lights.

One of the good things about the case that I didn't realize when I bought it is that it's Aluminum. I have a pure steel case right now, and when I picked this aluminum up I thought I dropped it -the thing was so light I felt like it wasn't in my hands, so it's good for LANing (but I dont really do that).

Together TigerDirect had a rebate to make the Case and PSU $99.99. The memory was $355 with rebate, the mobo was $260, the processor was $360. The heatsink was $60, the 74GB HD was $180, case fans ran about $15 a piece and the video card was about $260, so in total it ran about $1600.

Pretty simple:
    1) I have an ASUS with nice overclocking features right now, so I trust them
    2) They have the newer 975X chipset
    3) It was the best all-around overclocking board for the Conroe when I got it (there hasn't been a new one released yet that's better)

I was really hoping to hold of to see how the nVidia 590 would run with Conroe, but it's too late now. All I have to do is wait for DirectX 10 to come out and get my new Video card. Possibly make a upgrade to the Conroe X6900 when prices drop, and buy some more RAM for when Vista comes out -- then I should be ready.

6. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

you mean ready, like ready to win the third world war by telling the germans your pc specs, you know.. scare tactics.

Do you know much about vista and its implications on hardware performance. when abouts is it gonna be released.

7. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

They released Beta2 for free download. It's nowhere near a gamers paradise as it underperforms the current Windows XP. It does provide some nice visual effects though, other than that, they have some kinks to work out.

I think DirectX 10 might influence its performance and effects some.