Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by DarkStranger, Jul 28, 2007.

1. DarkStranger

DarkStranger Geek Trainee

Just wanted to give some advice about this case which I have just purchased.

1. It's pretty quiet considering it has 4 fans!

2. The rear of the case I received does not come with a grill to the right of the expansion slots as displayed in most photos (even on the box!). Instead, Antec have installed 2 holes for water cooling pipes. These are also useful for threading fan speed controllers and the like.

3. I have seen some people report that installing hard drives is quite tricky as once you take a hard drive enclosure out you have to poke a screw driver through holes in the side of the enclosure to screw the screws in.
    Imagine a 3 1/2 inch bay within a 5 1/4 inch enclosure with holes in the side to reach the 3 1/2 inch bay.
    This has been resolved by Antec providing long screws and installing channels for them running from the 5 1/4 inch bay to the 3 1/2 inch bay making things a lot easier.

4. The power/reset switch cable only just reaches the bottom of the case. Just something to be aware of as the pins on the motherboard I purchased were in the bottom right corner (I guess most are made the same). Any further away and the cable would not have reached.

5. You definitely need to remove the middle fan bracket to install an 8800 GTX! This means you cannot install a hard drive in the middle slot of the upper drive enclosure.

6. Each fan has its own individual speed controller. Settings are Low/Med/High.

2. xXSNIPERXx

xXSNIPERXx Geek Trainee

every review i have read on this case it is like god haha everyone loves it! i got the raidmax rx9 for a bit of differance but if i had to chose somthing else i would probably check out the 900.. is it huge inside?

3. DarkStranger

Is it huge? Well, considering there isn't a removable motherboard tray I can tell you I could still get the motherboard in just fine. Unfortunately my board appears to be faulty mind you....

4. xXSNIPERXx

xXSNIPERXx Geek Trainee

ohh okies :) im getting the GTX also and im just worried it wont fit in the rx9.. and when u said u had a bit of trouble with the 900 got me worried about mine haha

5. DarkStranger

Didn't have any trouble, just advised that you definitely need to remove the middle fan bracket. It just clips off, no screws.

Funny thing that came with the case was a piece of plastic and on paper 3 picture diagrams which appeared to show it was designed to steady that incredibly long ATi card by screwing it on the side of one of the drive bays. Doesn't have a use for an 8800 GTX as it's not THAT long..lol
    Did ATi even release that card in the end?

6. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

ive got the antec 900 case, the only thing id say that could be an improvement would be if you could turn off the front led's, this is kinda a problem for me as its in my room and if i leave it on over night its hard to get to sleep. i was thinking of getting nvidias coolermaster stacker but should probably stick with the 900. so does the 8800 gtx fit snug or does it have lots of space?

7. Dambuster

Dambuster Magic

It fits ok if you remove the middle tray, you won't have lot's of space left when you've put the 8800GTX, however the case is well built to support 2 cards' temperature by leaving a place for an additionnal fan...

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, it's not necessarily the amount of fans as much as the size. Larger fans can move the same amount or more (depending on the RPM and number of blades) as smaller fans at a slower RPM. I'm sure if I could put 120mm fans in my case, it'd be quieter. Not that I have high RPM ones, but they'd certainly be an improvement over my 80mm ones.