Any way to use Serial port in safe mode?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Brooks, May 14, 2006.

1. Brooks

Brooks Geek Trainee

I have an older IBM (thinkpad 500?) using Windows 2000 that crashes randomly. I only use this computer to run an automatic key machine in my truck that uses the Serial Com port. The computer runs fine in Safe Mode, but I can't link it to the key machine because the Serial port is disabled in Safe Mode. Is there any way to enable the serial com port in safe mode?
    Thanks, Brooks

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

in theory, yes, manually edit config.sys & autoexec.bat with the DOS drivers for your serial port (good luck finding them, or generic drivers may work)

and as i'm not familiar with Win2k you might have to force it inti running the autoexec.bat & config.sys,
    someone else will be able to advise you about Win2k

3. Brooks

Brooks Geek Trainee

Thanks for the advice, I will have my friend help me with that, DOS might as well be chinese to me. If it runs ok in safe mode would that be an indication the OS is OK? I would like to find the source of the original problem, and since it seems to be fine in safe mode is that an indication the problem is with some sort of external device like the modem or network adapter? Should I bother to update the Win2k? I originally thought the problem was related to the screen saver/ powersave settings but I disabled all those to no avail. The other odd thing is that after it crahes it will boot fine into windows after being off for an hour or so, otherwise it has to be restarted in safe mode.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i personally loved DOS & Win3.1 or 3.11 because it was simple (like me) and stuff just worked, but having said that i also love more Win9x (a bit more complicated but understandable (to me anyway)) safe mode doesn't mean everything related to the O/S is ok, cos it took me 2 weeks to kill my first install of XP, XP is happy if left alone (but me being me, i can't leave stuff, i always think i know better, i'm wrong of course, but it gives me somthin to do) angway your probably better getting some advice off somebody with more expirience with Win2k