Are cheap card reader harmful?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Lucas Malor, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Lucas Malor

Lucas Malor Geek Trainee

Hello everyone! I would ask you a little (and maybe stupid) question to you all, since this forum seems to me reliable full of expert people. Please do not prove I'm wrong :p

I would buy a card reader for my micro SD card. I surfed a little on my usual online stores and there's not a branded card reader that costs less than 5€ (~ $7).
    So I searched on eBay. I found card readers for $1 only. Unbranded and from Honk Kong of course.
    This is very temping, but I'm a little scared about reliability. So my question is: could a cheap card reader cause damages to an SD card? And how?

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

It CAN cause damage. I have used many cheap card readers and so far no damage to any card.

But basically if build quality is very poor, it can cause problems.

3. phis6

phis6 Geek Trainee

Agree with WM, basically not all cheap card readers but few might cause damage to your card if the build and circuit design is poor.

4. conniegarrick

conniegarrick Geek Trainee

Yes definitely, cheap card readers can cause harm, though not always. Thus for the matter of fact, why to take risk!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  5. telliegirl25

telliegirl25 Geek Trainee

I think it would be okay as long as you don't buy fake ones. Some micro SD card actually changed the value of the file capacity so it will actually continue to write data bigger than the space available even if the data isn't there. In short, when you try to view the data, it couldn't be open.