Asus Radeon 9800XT Driver ???

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by dmj1975, Feb 11, 2004.

1. dmj1975

dmj1975 Geek Trainee

I have a Asus Radeon 9800XT and want to know what the best driver is for this card, can I use ATI's Catalyst drivers for this card, I know the Asus 9800XT has some different features from the ATI card does this mean I can only use Asus drivers ?.

I checked both their websites and the latest ATI driver is over 20mb but the Asus driver is only 7.5mb, why the big difference.

What is the best driver ? and where can I download it.

I'm new to Graphics Cards, so I apologise if this is a really poor question.

Thanks.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I like Omegadrive drivers, personally. To answer your question though, the only difference between the ASUS drivers and the ATI drivers is that the ATI ones are unified drivers -- that is, they are made to provide support for every ATI card there is. ASUS's drivers are only made to cover a specific card, so they aren't as big.

3. dmj1975

dmj1975 Geek Trainee

Thanks for the advice Anti-Trend

4. Anti-Trend

Not a problem; enjoy the card. :good:

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Actually I think there are more differences than that.

Let me redirect you to www.rage3d.com/board

This is a dedicated ATI forum so you WILL find a thread there that answers your question.

6. Anti-Trend

I don't mean to argue with harrack52; he's a really smart guy. :) But in my experience with Asus drivers, they were just ATI's Catalyst drivers with few of Asus' own supplemental programs added on. For instance, ATI drivers provide no overclocking support at all, with the exception of the XT line of cards. Asus on the other hand supports overclocking of every card, XT or no. To me, the Asus software is not appealing enough to warrant using their drivers over any other drivers, but others' opinions may differ on this point. I prefer RadLinker for overclocking support; I feel it integrates better with the Catalyst drivers.