battery or adapter problem?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by lampshadedays, Apr 29, 2014.

1. lampshadedays

lampshadedays Geek Trainee

I was hoping I could get a second opinion about something. The battery light on the front of my laptop constantly blinks red, and, even though the computer says the battery is charging, there are times when I will unplug the power supply and the whole thing dies. I have to pull out and put back the battery a couple times, plug the thing in, and then it starts again. I am thinking it needs either a new battery or adapter, but I don't want to buy one unless that is for sure what it needs. Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Because adapter is supplying power, battery is probably problem.

3. lampshadedays

lampshadedays Geek Trainee

The battery occasionally works on its own, though, and I do sometimes get a warning when I plug in the power supply that it is insufficient for my system. (Attempts to bring up the warning so I can get the exact wording are proving unsuccessful.) So - the battery is dying but not completely dead?

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Check adapter specs and what specs laptop has on bottom. Interesting is voltage and amperes.

If adapter is OK, then probably battery is reaching end of life or there is something wrong on laptop power connector. Power connector errors amd burned power controller chips are common on laptops.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Pull the Battery out and run on charger Only, The test computer to see On how it runs... Sounds like the Battery to me Also,,,

6. telliegirl25

telliegirl25 Geek Trainee

Do a test: Plug device in an outlet and use device without battery. If it continue to works, the battery is hence the problem.