Best 980 Ti Card For Micro Atx Sli?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by JoeyMartin1958, Oct 19, 2015.

1. JoeyMartin1958

JoeyMartin1958 Geek Trainee

Hello everyone,

So I am currently planning on upgrading my computer. It is a micro atx build and currently runs a gtx 780. I am looking to do sli with two 980 tis. The main reason I want to do this is in preparation for the release of VR headsets like the oculus rift headset next spring. I am planning on having these upgrades ready by the end of this year. I have done some research into this and am aware that heat is going to be an issue. I know that a blower style fan would be best so that hot air isn't being kicked all over my case (Although I do have a veryy good fan setup with a total of 3 120mm fans and 2 140mm that move a lot of air through my corsair 350d). My questions is, what would be the best 980ti card for this job? The only blower style option I can seem to find is the reference cooler. I guess I am ok with this if there are no other options but that green led is absolutely awful and would completely ruin the color scheme of my build.

If my only options are the reference cooler, which card would be the best to go with out of those (ie reference, superclocked, super super clocked etc)?

Another option someone mentioned to me was to have a card such as the sea hawk or a 980ti hybrid in the top slot and a different one in the 2nd slot to ensure the top card stays cool. I am a little weary of using two different cards although technically it should work. Would there be any major issues with using two different cards like this? What would be a good secondary card to pin with the seahaw/hyrbrid?

Please do not tell me that I only need 1 980ti or that vr is stupid or I should wait. I am doing these upgrades now as I am going to college next year and know I will not have money to spend like this when I am there.

Thank you for your help

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I do tell because Maxwell architechture sucks on VR. So 980ti for VR is total waste of money. Deposit money on somewhere you get them out next year and problem solved.