Can anybody help me with me 1TB external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by zabrak, Jul 16, 2012.

1. zabrak

zabrak Geek Trainee

So, I bought this 1TB external hard drive...And for some reason it's listed as 'unavailable' ??When I went to Devices and Printer in control panel, I see it labeled as 'USB Mass Storage Device', however it won't activate as anything.when I connected it, I went through the drivers, and everything is all good...Except I can't use the thing.Simpletech 1TB is what I have.

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

You may need to format the disk if it is not already formatted to make it useable. If you are on windows 7, go to the start button, then right click on Computer and choose manage. In the window that opens, click on disk management. From there, you should see the drives you have installed on your computer, and hopefully you will see your 1tb drive with unallocated space on it. At that point, you should be able to format the unallocated space with NTFS or whatever you choose. Here is a link to a tutorial on how to format a drive in windows 7

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/format-hard-drive-windows-7.htm

3. try formatting your disk or if a cd installer comes along with it would be much helpful

4. Dangerclose

Dangerclose Geek Trainee

you sure your Bios Support 1TB?

5. Sophia Christchurch

Sophia Christchurch Geek Trainee

Try reformatting the disk maybe that is just the solution needed for it to function properly on your PC...

6. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

its a 1TB external HDD..
    Try using it on another computer, if the problem persist, its defective, send it back to manufacture and ask for an RMA.
    Also, Simpletech, that manufacturer sounds new to me, hope they'll give you an RMA as I have not tried any of their products to date.
    Samsung and Western Digital are your best bet!

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If it is USB, Go into your Bio's and make sure you have all usb ports unlocked..