Can I change or hide my IP address?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rebekka, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rebekka

rebekka Geek

Can I change or hide my IP address?

I am thinking of doing this as I am still getting trojans
    now and again and viruses.

I wondered if changing or hiding my IP address would
    stop this happening although it's a lot better since I
    have installed XoftSpySE if I do frequent scans.

If it would help - does anybody know a reliable
    and safe - and simple - download to use?

THANKS!

:unsure:

2. Tech

Tech Padawan

Simple answear is yes to both. There is software to hide your IP as mentioned here or you can use proxies to partially hide your IP or fully hide it. Your ISP may also provide proxies as well.

As regards changing your IP it is very possible but you don't mention your connection method so a little more info would be needed for that one, however if your problem is Trojans I'm not sure changing your IP will be of much use. You probably need to be more careful from where you download and avoiding IE and Outlook would help too. ;)

3. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Changing your IP address, using a proxy server or any other privacy service will not stop any malware unfortunately.

Anti-Virus, A software firewall andSpybot Search And Destroy are about the best you can do to protect a windows computer from malware.

Using Firefox instead of internet explorer also avoids a range of malware.

I would also recommend putting your computer behind a Router/Gateway (the boxes that share a internet connection between computers) with Upnp _DISABLED_, this will stop most worms from infecting your computer (no one can connect to your machine, you have to connect to them) and will also stop any malware running a server on your machine.

other than that, don't install any software or run exe's without doing a bit of research on it (put its name into google)

4. rebekka

rebekka Geek

Once again, thanks.

I now use Firefox - thanks for that advice, Impotence.

I also found that on 'TalkTalk Assist and Go' IP can be changed as often
    as required - just one click and it changes so that is useful.

I still have two viruses/spyware to delete and just can't seem to get rid of them
    despite using SpyBotS&D XoftSE and AVG.

"ad.yieldmanager.com" sits at the bottom of the screen and seems to
    really slow the download of pages

and "registrycleanerXP.com" keeps popping up saying that immediate attention is required!!!
    -----------------------------------

I have just received email from my Forum Host saying yieldmanager is their ads company
    and they will investigate.

5. Impotence

Try running AVG when the computer is booted up in safe mode, if that fails i would suggest you try Avast Anti Virus, update the virus definitions and say yes when it asks you about a boot time scan. (if you do make sure you remove AVG first).

also, have a look at what programs are starting when you turn the computer on (you can view and change the list by clicking start, run, type msconfig and push enter, select the last tab).

[OT]
    I thought i should expand on the point made earlier about changing your IP address.

Nearly all malware comes from the computers and servers that YOUR computer connects to, exploits in Internet Explorer are a great example because for the vast majority them to be exploited you have to connect to the web server with the malware on it.

Another method that is used to infect computers with malware is social engineering, tricking the person at the computer into downloading (and running) a program claiming that it will do or give them something (ie Free Smiley's, click here to download them!). You can defend yourself from these attacks with a little common sense (Smiley's for msn are pictures, so why is the download a program? it must do something else!).

Changing your IP address will not stop you from getting any sort of malware as your actual IP address is irrelevant!
    [/OT]

6. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

If your machine is infected and you don't know what you're doing ( and it's apparent that you don't ) take it to your local computer shop and have it cleaned out...

Stop using ' online ' scanners...they are unreliable and are in the business of finding something wrong in order to sell their products to you..they may even be responsible for the infection...

then...once it's cleaned...make sure you have the latest versions of AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, AVG, and a solid Firewall ( all available for free...the paid versions typically aren't any better than the free versions, they just have more toys/features to play with and are more customizable )...

then make sure you also have this other handy utility: CrapCleaner ( also free )

update all..including and especially Java

install Firefox, AdBlock, and NoScript

then stop going to pron sites. ;)

7. Impotence

All they will do is re-install windows, which you can do yourself (with help if you need / want it), do you have more than one computer? (so you can get help with one if needed while sorting the other).

Egaladeist: The thought the whole point of hardwareforums was helping people with things they where having problems with, or don't know anything about... or should we just forget about that and send everyone to PC World to be systematically ripped off?

8. Egaladeist

True....but that's assuming that everyone has some working knowledge or confidence in self-repairing...

and that simply isn't the case. ;)

Not everyone is comfortable with digging into their registry and cleaning it out...or accessing parts of their computer that come with warning signs ;)

The better part of valor in these cases where the person lacks the skills is to direct them to those who do.

Great...you're an auto mechanic...and someone comes to you for advice on how to repair his car...but lacks the skills necessary to do it himself...knowing he is unskilled do you direct him to try to fix it himself or direct him to the ' safer ' and ' less potentially dangerous alternative ' a professional? ;)

What I find on a lot of ' help forums ' is the mistaken belief that everyone has a working knowledge of their computer and wants to service it themselves...in the vast majority of cases that is a mistaken notion. The vast majority of people are not computer geeks...they're stupid users.

The advice I gave him/her was sound...have it cleaned then follow what I laid out to prevent further infections. Everything I laid out was self-help but the first.

It is clear from the OP's original post that he/she is not of any skill set to fix his/her own computer

His/her IP address has nothing to do with getting multiple infections. ;) rebekka thinks by this statement that if he/she changes his/her IP it will solve the problem...

do you really think this person should be rooting through his/her registry?

If you really wanted to help then you should have asked rebekka to download and run hijackthis and post the log...then give him/her specific step-by-step instructions as to what he/she should remove.

Re-run hijackthis and post the new log.

Evaluate the new log and see if any problems still exist...then repeat if necessary. ;)

That, of course, would require competence on your part to read a hijackthis log and evaluate it without seriously mucking up his/her machine...

which is why I never mentioned it...because I'm not competent to read a hijackthis log accurately.

Simple rule of life...if you don't know what you're doing then let someone who does know do it. ;)

9. Impotence

And thats one of the reasons why forums like this exist. People that do know helping people that don't know, apart from this being a very nice thing to do as people learn more they become more confident.

Telling someone that they need to get a 'professional' to do something for them (unless there personal safety is at risk, or it could have a extreme effect on there life like a court case) is counter productive, not only does it lower confidence in themselves it costs them much more than it should

For example, PC World want £80 to send someone out to your house to setup a wireless network which is COMPLETELY ridiculous... £30 might be a reasonable amount (including transport time and a hour to do it).

Comparing a computer software to a car is completely ridiculous Egaladeist, If you can find a case where someone making a mistake installing windows / general software has actually caused them physical harm or killed them then please accept my apologies. Try to some up with a decent comparison next time.

If someone makes a mistake while doing something with a computer then they can ask for more help (example: i did this and this happened, what did i do wrong? or what do i do when it says this? etc).

If someone has asked for help then i will do my best to help in any way i can, they always have the option of paying someone else to do it but i would assume that as there here they want to have a go doing it themselves.

Yes i will agree that the vast majority of people using a computer don't know how to fix it themselves, but i think you need a major attitude change. I'm sure the "vast majority" of users would find it rather offensive being called stupid because they don't know how to do something.

Someone only counts as "stupid" if they are unable to learn, stupid literally means lacking in intelligence. Not having the time to learn is not the same thing as unable to learn (paying someone to do something for you does not mean you are stupid).

[OT]
    Just in case you didnt notice, this is from the main page (before you sign in)

"Welcome to Hardware Forums, where everyone is treated equally whether you're an expert or a newbie click here to register"
    [/OT]

Its the "have it cleaned" out part that this all started over i believe.

This is a forum where people who do know help people that don't know, telling a member to pay someone else to do it does not help them (it gets it done, but they don't learn). Everybody already knows that they can pay someone to fix it for them.

And strangely that also seems to be the reason rebekka is here!!! what a coincidence... If everyone had the knowledge and skill to fix whatever there problem was, why would they ask for help with it?

Did you always have the skill set to fix your own computer? how many more skills do you think you will learn in your life? do you think that you should give up because you don't have the skill to do something without even trying? (unless of course you risk physical injury or death).

If you where paying attention, I never suggested that she should, and asking rebekka to do would be like learning to swim in the deep end (you can do it, but your a lot better off learning in the shallow end).

Anyone with the slightest interest in computer security should know that you can't trust the output of any program from a suspect machine, there is no guarantee that hijackthis would find everything (never heard of a rootkit Egaladeist?). I'm sure hijackthis can be very useful, but it cant be trusted.

If it was any other operating system (Linux, BSD, or even OSX!) i might suggest having a go if there was no evidence that anything requiring root privileges had been done. But generally (as long as you know how to stop it happening again) your much better off reinstalling your OS.

Not willing or not able? and there are plenty of people who are, so if you really wanted to help I'm sure you could have asked someone else for help (I find Google very useful for finding tutorials or instructions for things i don't know anything about, or even finding people who do).

You must have a very sad, expensive life. It looks like you don't have the skill set to deal with life if your going to give up before you even try (or at least look into how feasible it is to do yourself).

But don't worry, you can learn to do new things (assuming your able to).

If you want to continue this discussion please create another thread in the war zone to do so, or if you would rather not have your views ridiculed in public you can send me a private message.. This thread is for helping rebekka.

-Impy

10. Egaladeist

Spoken like a true teenager.

People rely upon their computer these days as much as their cars...the analogy wasn't ridiculous at all...going off the deep end by saying a mucked up computer wouldn't kill them IS ridiculous.
    Maybe you don't live on your own, work off your computer, and have children to feed...so it's not a big deal to you if someone mucks up their computer trying to follow your advice.

I'm sure you guarantee your help with the replacement of any mucked up parts...you do don't you? ;)

Sure it's nice to teach people, get them to learn something...but you have to have a reasonable head about you...

rebekka DID NOT come here and ask ' how do I get this crap off my computer? '
    she asked ' how can I change my IP address so I don't get anymore viruses or malware '

rebekka's skill-set is obviously very low...if you'd prefer to help than direct him/her to appropriate care...then I hope you take responsibility when he/she mucks up the computer based upon your advice that he/she learns through trial n' error because you think...that's the best way to approach this particular person.

Gawd love the teenage years. ;)

I approach each person as I see fit...as I evaluate the situation...if I am confident that a person can fix the problem themselves and just needs direction then so be it...
    but I'm not negligent in my belief that everyone is so capable.

Your way is not only irresponsible...it borders on sheer negligence.

But that's just my opinion...I had no problem letting you help your way...grow up and stop being so offended that I help in MY OWN WAY...not your way. ;)

If you read my original post it doesn't even mention you...I offered help as I saw fit to offer it...and instead of accepting that I took the time to post my help and appreciating my opinion...

you seem to have a problem with the way I choose to help...

only a teenager or someone immature could be that offended by someone trying to help in their own way...grow up.

YES this is a computer help forum...and that is EXACTLY why you should appreciate other opinions and assistance...I don't have to waste my time trying to help people, I have my own set of responsibilities...

rebekka is lucky to have a more diverse exploration of ideas...or ...maybe...

you think only yours counts?

Obviously you're a mega expert...I should bow to your years of experience and your wall of certificates...

Gawd love the teenage years. ;)

11. Egaladeist

Just as a follow up...

it wasn't my intention of messing up this thread...I was quite willing to offer my opinion and leave it up to rebekka to choose which advice he/she wanted to follow...

you chose to flame the thread...because you thought/think my advice wasn't in line with your thoughts...

and that is the difference between an adult and a teenager...an adult gives people choices and doesn't assume their choice is immediately the right one...

you...on the other hand...would rather rebekka NOT have that choice...the ability to choose between who's advice he/she wants to follow...

because...you must be right...right? ;)

Personally, I prefer to have choices.

This is one of the reasons I don't come here very often...and why you don't have a lot of active members over 25 ( in my case over 45 )...

teenage attitudes

I'm right , you're wrong...why are you helping in my thread...go find your own thread...immature BS.

Be thankful I tried to help at all. ;)

12. Impotence

I have created a thread in the war zone to continue this discussion Egaladeist

13. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

This is more or less a DIY forum, so I'm assuming this individual wants help on how to do it herself. Computer shops are expensive and often incompetent, and I can think of a myriad of reasons not to go to one besides cost alone. They do make sense for some people at some times, but certainly not always.

Regarding this original question, the only way to truly keep Windows safe is to keep it offline. Otherwise, the other forum-goers have given you perhaps the best advice you can have, in the form of conventional wisdom on both sides of this difficult issue. Still, I fear this one may end up needing to be a clean-installation, since it sounds too far gone.

I dunno if this will help you or not, or even what you do with your PC. But my sister's computer was always getting destroyed by malware, at least once every 2 weeks no matter what anti-virus and anti-spyware software I equipped her with. After a dozen or so reinstallations, I talked her into letting me install Linux for her and she hasn't had a single security problem since. Like I said, not sure if that will help at all, but it's what I would do in your situation: simply get rid of the vulnerable software. :) Though just forsaking IE for Firefox or Opera will help substantially in this respect, Windows itself is ultimately the biggest security hole one can have in this day and age.

In regards to the heated spat on this thread, all innocent bystanders have my sincere apologies. Those involved have already been warned, and I hope to see them make amends. This forum usually has a great atmosphere and we need everyone's cooperation to keep it that way.

Best regards,
    -AT

14. gardengirl

gardengirl Geek Trainee

Woo hoo!! What a scrap!! Best entertainment in ages - thanks, guys!!:D :chk:

15. Egaladeist

You're welcome :D

It's really quite simple AT...I should be able to offer my opinion and let the OP determine if it's the opinion he/she wants to follow...Impot had no right to take issue with my opinion....I didn't take issue with his opinion. ;)

Sure...people come here for advice...sometimes that advice should be don't fix it yourself...that's life...not everyone can fix a computer...just like not everyone can fix their car or work their VCR...you learn that when you grow up, that some things you can't do yourself...Impot isn't there yet...he still lives in that idolic world ( that invincible, indestructible world all teenagers live in, the same world I lived in as a teenager too ) where that choo-choo-train lives ....I can do it, I can do it. ;)

16. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[ot]
    I was addressing your personal attacks towards Impotence; let's not pretend it was a one-way street. Don't let it happen again in a public thread.

Regards,
    -AT[/ot]

17. Egaladeist

I didn't say I didn't participate...and it won't happen again.

18. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

LOL

19. rebekka

rebekka Geek

I have been watching this discussion with interest and would like to add a few comments.
    If they are off topic then Admin please delete.

I am mostly self-taught on computer and have set-up and now run my own forum, and am also a moderator on a larger forum (for about two years).
    I do not entirely agree with the comments that I am "Obviously of very low skill set" and a "stupid user" as at 74 years I am still trying to learn and that is why I ask questions.

Firstly I must say that I do appreciate the fact that people take the time and trouble to answer my questions. Having said that if whatever advice I choose to follow messes up my computer then it was my decision - my choice.

"Can I change or hide my IP address
    "
    My reason for this question was that I had seen in another forum (not HF) somebody stated that he often changed his IP and email address to stop Trojans and Virus attacks. Can't be true I thought - and that is why I asked the question.

With regard to having a professional sort my computer I paid £90 a week or so back for this privilege and after a short time I found the firewall had not been re-activated and I was getting more malware. Hence my decision to try a bit of DIY which hasn't really been successful so I am looking to buy a new computer. Linux seems to be a good idea too so as I do not know much about it I will have to do a bit of googling.

I am sure I will be back with another stupid question before long -
    thanks to all

rebekka

20. donkey42

donkey42 plank

Linux is very good, secure, in fact i only have a hardware firewall (built into my router) and i have no antivirus, so if i was worried, why am i advertising the fact on HWF - thats how much confidence i have in Linux & i'm paranoid, the first difficult decision to make is which distro to start with personally i tried a few LiveCDs first like Mandriva, Xandros, KateOS, Ubuntu even the little ones like yoper, but i've being with faithful Kubuntu for about 2 or 3 years, but remember VMware allows you to install almost any OSs from almost any OS including windoze