Can I have printer plugged into 2 different comps at once?

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Jun 4, 2009.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Will there be any problems if I have it plugged into 2 computers at the same time? I have my desktop PC (winxp pro) connected to my mfc printer via the old-school LPT port. Meanwhile, the printer also has a USB port. So if I also plug in my mom's laptop (winxp home) into the printer via usb, and start printing, could there be any issues?

Or is it entirely safe?

Thanks!

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yea, you can do that, You just can't use it at the same time,or it will crash.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

or you could connect both comps together to make a mini network & setup 1 comp as a mini print server (the print server will spool print jobs for the other box) or connect both boxes to a switch and connect the printer directly to the switch and select the IP of the printer to print to

tking0036 likes this.
  4. luke992006

luke992006 Geek Trainee

^personally i would do that instead.

5. hdwtom

hdwtom Geek Trainee

Many printers will disable the parallel port when the USB port is connected so your mileage may vary a bit depending on your model of printer.

6. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

sorry to dig this up. I recently found myself doing this. I used a printer switch. You can use it one a time and not the same time.