canon pima 280 not recognized by computer

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by jack99999, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jack99999

jack99999 Geek

this is using xp 32 pro. I contacted tech support but they wanted me to update my BIOS and as far as i'm concerned that's a no no. they also said that changing cables may help.

what do you think?

the computer detects it but does not know what it is and calls it an unknown device.

2. jack99999

jack99999 Geek

and i should note that the software doesn't notice it either. when loading the software it will not detect it.

3. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

There are two version of your printer: PIXMA M280 and PIXMA M280 w/PP201
    Figure out which one you have by looking at the serial tag at the bottom of your printer or around corners. Then, click the link below and select "XP" as your O/S. Then, press "Agree, Begin Download". This will install your drivers and should detect your printer.

PIXMA M280
    or
    PIXMA M280 w/PP201

4. jack99999

jack99999 Geek

well, i don't see the model number anywhere on the machine and the manual says that the serial number is supposed to be on the post that holds up the copier when replacing ink, yet there is no serial number there.

found the serial number on a metal plate on the inside of the printer. doesn't say what model it is.

5. jack99999

jack99999 Geek

and there are no codes that match the item code on the website

6. jack99999

jack99999 Geek

and it looks like all the drivers are the same anyway. which means the one that came on my disk should be fine.

7. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Ok, try any of the drivers i posted. Worst that acn happen is it wont detect your printer. Try both out until it fixes the problem.