Cloned Hdd Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Tallon, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Tallon

Tallon Geek Trainee

I've just tried to upgrade my 500Gb HDD to a 1Tb HDD by using EaseUS Free version to clone the old drive to the new one which seemed to work fine. But when I tried to use it to boot the PC, it just kept going into the Asus BIOS screen - and I've no idea why or what I'm supposed to do with that.

Reverting to the old setup and booting up, I went into Device manager>Administrative tools>Computer management>Storage>Disk management and right clicked n the new drive and made it 'active. I noticed that the old drive also has a 'recovery partition of 450Mb so I also cloned that to the new drive.

Now if I try to boot with only the new drive I get Windows 'Error 0xc00000e..... required device inaccessible....'

When I reconnect the old drive (even leaving the new one connected as well) it boots fine.

I'm now at a loss at what to do.... one thing I noticed in 'Disk management' is that the old HDD is identified as 'Boot, Page file, Active, Crash dump, Primary', where as the new HDD only has 'System, Active, Primary'. I don't know what these mean but I would have though they should be the same - or not? Anyone know how to change them?

SYSTEM:
    Asus B85M-G motherboard
    Core i5 4690 3.50Mhz
    8 Gb memory
    Windows 10 64 bit

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

With the new drive in, did you go into BIOS/UEFI and set the drive as the first boot device?