''Colorsit 550watt psu'', n e good?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by izzy007, May 6, 2006.

1. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i've gt a colorsit 550watt power pack. i wanted to know it if's n e good as i've currently got it in my rig nd it runs fine.
    there are 30amps on da 12v rail
    35amps on da 5v
    28amps on da 3.3v

mbm 5 reports da voltages to be:
    12v-12.34 high-12.46 low-12.34
    5v-4.84 high- 4.87 low-4.76
    3.3v-3.31 high- 3.34 low-3.3

i've replaced da fan with a hiper 120mm fan nd after a few hours wen i touch da psu at da back it's only warm. it also makes a noise wen its switched off and da current has quite a loud noie if i turn the psu fan off for a sec.

i dont really think dat ts a good company but wat du u reckon. if i waz to put it in a p4 just say about 3.4ghz ht wud it handle it

oh yeah nd if my comp only needs just say about 300 watw, wud dis 550watt draw only how much it needs or full 550watt.

thx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The specs are pretty good, but I've never heard of the Colorsit brand before, so I'd be cautious. If it turns out to be a rebadged Tagan or Fortron unit (some of the more common good brands to be rebadged), you'll be fine. I don't try to be a brand slut, but I recommend going with known quality parts. Colorsit is a brand I just don't know about---good or bad. By the specs, it should handle most things out there. You go for a power-hungry Athlon-FX 60 or Pentium 980 Extreme Edition and a Crossfire X1900XT, that might not be enough, but then again, if you're getting that setup, you'd probably look at a 600W from OCZ, Enermax or PC Power & Cooling.

The system will only use the amount of wattage it needs, be it 300W or 500W.

3. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

thx n e wayz bb.i thought no 1 wud av heard of it b4 but i reckon wid my current rig, amd athlon xp 2800, it sud be alrite. the longest i av left the comp on for waz around bout 10 hours continuously nd there were no crashes or n e ting (pretty sure) so it shud b fine.

oh yeah can u plz go ova on how to test the amperages on the 12 nd 5v rails wid a multimeter. itz been time nd i sort of 4got.
    thx

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

5. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

nd another ting, if ur psu overheats, wat r da likely symptoms. or if da voltages overload (overvolt). i out da psu fan to 7v and can change it to 12v via a stiwch i made nd a few weeks ago wen it waz on 7v, da comp restarted. but dat cud also b becoz of the hard drvie. i accidently rocked da comp a bit to its side azwell so dat cud be da problem dat the hard drive waz reset

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Most likely, you'd have instability due to the power output dropping--which all power supplies will do, but the better ones have a higher heat tolerance and/or may not drop their output as much as low-quality ones. In extreme cases, you'd see a PSU die. The good ones will go quietly, but the bad ones tend to be loud and take components with it.

7. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

so if da fan stopped nd the psu overheated, wud da comp switch off if da osu iz gud enuff nd if it isnt, then would it just 'blow'. iz it da same wid overvoltage.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depends on the protection setup with the PSU.

9. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

sory i 4gt to say, for my psu, it doesnt state n e type of protection on da box so i suppose it doesnt have any. so is the most likely ting to happen to my psu iz dat it will blow up

thx

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Statistically, there's not that many options available to the PSU when going out. It's either going to go quietly, or it's going to go out with a bang. Hopefully, you won't be worrying about that if it ever does. The PSU stickers generally just have the model, the amperages, and some warning about not opening it up and voiding your warranty/not electrocuting yourself. Features generally aren't displayed on the PSU.

Some power supplies have a replaceable fuse, while others may have a fancier one that will reset itself. Some have neither of these...although the most important thing is construction. If it's a fairly heavy unit, it's a good indicator (but not the only one) that it's a good unit.

11. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i know that. mine has a fuse wich is soldered on. so du u reckon dat if it does overvolt or overheat dat the fuse will break and nothing will b damaged nd all u hav to do is solder another fuse on.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, that's what the fuse is for. I don't know the specifics of the fuse in question, but I know of two types: replaceable and resettable ones. The fuse is a wire that will melt and in doing so, cut off electricity. Depending on the rating, it will melt at a certain temperature. Generally, if you're blowing fuses, the circuit that you're hooked up to probably having to provide more juice than it can handle.