Compatibility

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by WWR, Jan 8, 2006.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

This may not be the place to post this thread but if a mod could move it to the right place I would be grateful.

Onto the topic itself. Compatibility of the three leading next-gen consoles, now we all know some details of some machines but if we were to base the console on compatibility alone, surprisingly the Nintendo Revolution would top the rest by far. Here's why:

Xbox 360: Can only play about 145 (currently) of the old Xbox titles, all but a couple needing you to get the patches from Xbox Live! first off, which is a costly and time-consuming way of doing things.

PS3: Can play all PS2 and PS1 games straight off the bat, which is impressive, you don't need anything to play them, no patches, no internet connection, nothing. An extremely impressive ability.

Revolution: Can play all Nintendo games, you can download the old games from the Nes, Snes, N64 etc and play them on the Revolution in addition to the new games for it, making it a highly versatile machine for compatibility, ideal for the retro gamers among us who miss the good old days of emulator-free SNES gaming.

That is what I think about the compatibility, in all fairness the Revolution and PS3 leave the 360 coughing in the dust in that respect. Microsoft may have a few advantages, but they're going to lose points for the people who want to play the older games.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

So true. I always liked Sony for their backwards compatibility.
    I'm not a Nintendo fan myself but that is pretty impressive what they've done :cool:

3. Addis

Addis The King

Yes the Revolution will have a lot of backward compatability, what might be interesting though is, using a PSP with an emulator to play old Nintendo games.

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Microsoft made a big mistake with this. If youve had an xbox from the day it came out and have hundreds of games for it. What are you supposed to do with them if they dont play? They won't sell for much when 360 games are out and you can't play them without plgging in your old console (which most ppl r too lazy to do) So yeah I think xbox will loose mega sales because of this aspect.

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

That's true actually, the PSP has a good quality screen and could easily handle emulators for older consoles. If Sony have implemented it then it would be scoring good points in the compatibility runnings.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I totally agree it's embarrasing how few games you can play on the 360. Granted it's great for the whole hometheater movie/music deal as well but it's a gaming machine that really should play all the titles it can.
    Am I correct in saying that the Gamecube could sort be counted in this as well as it could link with a GBA and play those games? Does the Revolution do this out of curiosity?

7. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Not sure if the Revolution can do that, it would make sense if it could. But there is the thing about GBA games, can the Revolution play those too? I would have thought not because the NDS is able to play all Advance games as well as DS games. So I wouldn't have thought you could download those, or the Gamecube games. It probably has some form of compatibility slot on the machine.

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That would be pretty cool but almost overkill really, just the sheer volume could overwhelm some people. The PS3 should be really good if they can get it out with a decent price tag. Though I've heard that the PS1 games may or may not be playable for some reason. Which is probably no major loss to most people really when they have all the hundreds of PS2 games to mess around with.

9. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Latest knews that I've heard is that the PS3 can play both PS1 and PS2 games perfectly. That may change in time but it's still looking good for those of us who enjoy the older games. If not, we can hold onto the PS2 and use it for PS1 games, even though there are some games for it that don't work on the PS2 or look slightly messed up (Alundra 1 was one of the ones that messed up, MGS: Spec Missions didn't work at all.)