Computer Won't Shut Down (possible power supply issue)

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by ryannP, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ryannP

ryannP Geek

Hello all,

I've been building my own systems since 2000, and while I've my share of problems I've usually been able to find answers online. However I have a new problem that is not only hard to diagnose with a google search, but I'm having trouble finding the time to really work on it. So I'll jump right in.

I work overseas for months at a time, and upon returning from my last trip, I found my roommate had unplugged the power chord from my power supply. He had said there was a power outage in our area and that my computer had turned on by itself and would not turn off even after holding the power button for long periods. So I plugged it in and sure enough there was some sort of malfunction with the power button. As soon as the power supply power switch is flipped on, the system powers up, but it does not boot. All the fans immediately start blowing at 100% and the monitor stays in sleep mode. Upon pressing the power switch the system boots normally and the fans go back to regular speed. The computer then works fine till I shut it down, where it goes from the regular blue windows shut down screen, back to the monitor in sleep mode and fans blowing at 100%. It stays that way till i flip the power supply switch in the back (holding the power button does not do anything).

A friend of mine suggested the temperature sensors are off somehow and the system thinks its overheating as its booting up or down. I've also been told the power supply might have a problem. I was hoping in buying the AX series power supply i was buying one of the best available and the same goes with the sabertooth p67. The system is roughly a year old. As I can actually use the computer its not a real emergency, however all these hard boots make a bit nervous about the systems longevity.

Anyways here are the stats, I will be most gracious for any help.

-Corsair Carbide 400R
    -Corsair AX750
    -ASUS P67 Sabertooth
    -SB 2500k
    -Corsair H60
    -8GB Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
    -Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Green
    -Windows 7 Professional

Again thanks in advance.

2. Doug Burger

Doug Burger Geek Trainee

First inspect the motherboard and look for obvious problems, especially capacitors (they look like little soda cans). Caps will bulge at the top if damaged. See if you can borrow another power supply and try that. If it starts normally then it's your power supply that is the issue. If not, it's the motherboard. The power surges that happen when power is restored can cause havoc with hardware. Good luck. I'll watch this thread and see how things turn out or if I can help more.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

One of the worst things for a Computer is Either a power surge or a Lightning strike near by, it can cause allot of damage...It sounds like your power supply could of got damage as well as the front panel switch.... There also could be Motherboard damage, the problem is narrowing it down...

4. zsde

zsde Geek Trainee

Test with another PSU first to see if it solves the problem.

5. ryannP

ryannP Geek

Hello again,
    Debriefing time. Visually inspected the capacitors, they all look fine - no bulging, leakage, etc. Tested the system with another PSU, now here where it gets funny. First 3-4 times powered up then shut down all by itself after about 5 seconds. Now, it powers up just fine, boots up into windows. When i try to power it down it does as before - the monitor goes to sleep mode and fans keep turning.
    Some friend suggested this might be BIOS related. Any thoughts on that?
    Thank you for your time!

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Unplug the power supply from the back of the computer, Then push and hold in the power button for 10 seconds... Next open the case and remove the Bio's battery for 10 Minutes.. Next remove all ram sticks ... Next replace the bio's battery, and the ram sticks,Then the power cable and see what happens..

7. zsde

zsde Geek Trainee

Did you change any hardware at all before this started happening ?

8. ryannP

ryannP Geek

Hello again,
    It is official! Unfortunately my motherboard is the root of all problems. Did all that, also replaced the CPU and used a 3rd PSU to check. It does as before.
    Sadly, I cannot explain what happened!

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If you replace the Motherboard, Then go with Either a Gigabyte or Asus.. good luck..:)

10. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

MSI as well :D

11. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

yep !!! that one I forgot..