connecting USB printer to router

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by RHochstenbach, Mar 20, 2008.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

At the moment, I got a Canon Pixma MP610 all-in-one printer. It has a USB connection and a PictBridge connection. But no ethernet connection. Is there any way to connect this printer to my router (Belkin N1), so I could use it as a network printer? My budget is about $100. And if possible, it shouldn't require external AC power.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sure, you just need a simple adapter like this

BTW: startech are cheap & generic, so, i would suggest you get a decent brand like netgear

3. RHochstenbach

I didn't know that you could connect an external network adapter to a printer. I got such an adapter around here somewhere. I'll try it tomorrow :)

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, basically it works like NAS (network attached storage) look it up on wiki

Edit:
    [​IMG]

5. RHochstenbach

but, an external network adapter needs drivers to be installed on the host device. So I don't think that it's gonna work. But I'll try it anyway.

6. RHochstenbach

I tried it, and it didn't work unfortunately. I did found something, here. But these devices require external power, and I don't have any wall sockets left :(

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

theoretically i think it should just work, because, it's just connecting to ethernet, the item you found would work, however, i think it like using a sledgehammer to kill a spider, basically, overkill (but i've no experience with networking, so, i'm relying on wiki & google, which usually works)