Converting DVD Disc to Media Device...

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by Pennywise, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Pennywise

Pennywise Geek Trainee

Hi
    After searching and replacing childrens DVD I've wondered if it is possible to convert all the DVD's to a portable device which I can plug into their TV, Car DVD Player etc. I've considered iPod but I need to know if there is any other solutions available?

Thank you

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

I suppose you mean that you want to make a video file out of your DVD disc. If so, then you'll have to get some ripping software and then convert it to whatever format (size) you need to (for iPod, a cell phone or a small laptop, which would be avi probably).

But you can always use a mobile DVD player.

3. Pennywise

Pennywise Geek Trainee

I was more looking for a universal hardware device as getting the software will be easy. i just found the iPod solution bit limited when you shop for a dual screen DVD car Players....

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

You would be pushed to find media players which are basically a hard drive with playback capability which are battery operated (or car voltage operated) which can then connect to a double headed video out (to be able to connect to external video screens). My suggestion would be to go for a portable DVD player which can play Divx files (and/or Xvid) either from disk or USB drive. For example -
    Play.com (UK) : Nextbase SDV47AM 7" Twin Screen Portable DVD Player (Free 2yr Warranty) : Electronics - Free Delivery

5. Pennywise

Pennywise Geek Trainee

Will this solution also give me the opportunity to pack away ALL my DVD's and keep the DVD's as backup if I have a hardware failure?

How can I achieve this and which portable media/DVD player will I look at?

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

No, which is the reason for my first statement. I am not even sure what you are looking for actually exists. In reality you are talking about two different types of kit -
    1. HDD Based media player - essentially a SATA HDD, attached to an interface which has media playing capabilities. This will normally have at leat one video output (HDMI, composite video, VGA(?), etc) and stereo audio output. This piece of kit will have an AC to DC adaptor. I would imagine you will have a job finding a power adaptor for the car.
    2. A portable media player which can be attached to, or comes already with, one or two protable LCD screens. These are quite common. Either players with USB socket for a flash drive, or in the shape of an LCD screen and flash drive combo which can possibly attach to another screen. These have good capacity but I do not think will be enough to back up all your 's. Even if they do have a large capacity, like the Archos 7, I am not sure you will be able to connect them to an external LCD screen in your car.

In general a compressed video file with a decent video and audio quality will take about 1.4GB to 2GB of HDD space. Of course you can compress further but it is up to you and your requirements... Portable screens my be very forgiving and you may be able to get away with files with sizes of 700MB. So for top notch files - a 20GB drive will hold about 10 films. Do the math....

You will need to search the net as technology is ever evolving. Unfortunately, serious gadgets also mean searious $$$ or £££ or €€€.... ;)