Cooling Opinions please

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by ProcalX, Jul 12, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i have an Antec P160 (brilliantly cool case feels like a fridge all the time)

2 x 120mm Case Fans (Antec)
    VGA Artic Cooling for 9500/9600/9700/9800
    Heatsink & Fan: AMD Barton 2500+ Retail Fan & HSF

My temperatures:
    Case: 19 - 24C
    Grphx: 20-26C
    CPU: 49C - 53C 0% non-loaded / 54C - 68C loaded

My case is ice cold, and the air flow is brilliant:

i've ordered a Aero Lite Jet 7 +, and i need 1 or 2 120mm case fans that will push more air through my case.. ( any suggestions)

my CPU temperature is way 2 hot.. if i use my Cooler master HSF & Fan = 3200+ my CPU temparture goes upto 79C unloaded :/ (hence y i am not using it) - if i use the AMD retail hsf & fan, temps drop by 20 - 30C to the above mentioned..

can't understand why my CPU is so hot : /

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

The idea is to have good airflow in your case so that your video card's hsf and your cpu's hsf are provided with cool air.

I'm not sure how this case is built but ideally you wanna have at least one fan in front that pushes the air in and one fan at the back that takes it out.
    In addition, you can put a fan on the side panel that draws air from outside to the video card.
    You can also put a fan at the very top of the case that draws the air out of the case since that's where all the hot air gets.

I haven't made any tests but imo, you do not want a negative pressure (more exhaust fan than intake) in the case because then your coolers won't have any air to supply to their heatsink.
    More intake than exhaust might work but you'll need good airflow.

I tested Antec, Vantec, Panaflo and Thermaltake fans and I gotta say that Panaflo is the best of them all. They move a good amount of air while being silent. The Vantec Stealth is very silent but doesn'T move much air compared to an equivalent Panaflo (M1A).

I personnally wanna buy 4 Panaflos (already got 2): 3 M1As for the case and 1 H1A for the cpu.

Of course the ultimate air setup would be a Vantec Tornado on the cpu connected to some kind of fan controlling device since it really makes a LOT ouf noise.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

problem with my case is it does not have a side panel area for a fan, i have 2 case fan mounts in my case 1 at the front, (intake) and 1 at the back exhaust.. (we'll see what happens when i put my new HSF on.

4. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Try reseating your HSF with some high quality AS 5 or Ceramique