Could I have broken my CPU?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Curtis Coburn, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Curtis Coburn

Curtis Coburn Geek Trainee

While building my computer yesterday things were going well until I tried to install the AMD FX 6300 6 Core Processor into my ASUS M5A97 Motherboard. The CPU fit on nicely, but when I tried to install the stock fan to the processor with thermal paste pre-installed, I found that the fan does not fit to the mounts on the motherboard. It will go on one side, but will not latch onto the other side. So I took off the CPU fan and alone came the CPU with the Fan stuck to the case. The CPU was latched to the Motherboard so it was pulled without the latch.

I checked the CPU and from the looks of it, no pins look bent, so my best guess is that is't good. But I what are your thoughts on this matter? And what are your thoughts on what I should do?

I think that I will go out an get a Water cooling system to replace the stock fan that does not fit. I may have other questions later so I will ask them here. Just joined!!!

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Did this fan come with the cpu ? or did you order it separately?

3. Curtis Coburn

This is the stock fan that came with the CPU. The one that did not fit.

I will be going today to get a water cooling system and hopefully that will fit.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

5. Curtis Coburn

I have a link to the motherboard. Its a Asus m5A97 motherboard. It has two latches to clip on. The fan has 2 clips on that are suppose to clip on to the motherboard. I can't take a picture right now of the components but you can look at the links that I provided above of the components.

6. Curtis Coburn

But yes it does look something very similar to that fan that you have linked.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Then it should just clip on each side, Might be a little hard to do, but it will work..Make sure your CPU is seated right and the marks line up..

8. Curtis Coburn

I tried clipping it on both sides but it doesn't look like it will clip. I do not want to put too much force on the CPU and flat out break it. There's like 1/2 inch until the clip and the latch, before tension is too much and pressure starts on the processor. I don't want to force it on, and break it.

I might try it one more time, without thermal paste to make sure it can get on, just to see if it will fit, and if it does I'll take it off and add thermal paste and do it again.
    Do that so if I doesn't fit, the CPU does not come with the CPU when I take off the fan. But I think I am better off getting a water cooling system for easier installation and so that it is cooler.

9. Curtis Coburn

I took a look at the CPU and I do see that I have about 4 bent pins. What should I do? Should I try to straighten them out?

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Apparently You put in the cpu wrong or backwards..
    You have to be very careful when installing the cpu, It has to seat right, You have to line up the notches or arrows.. Yea! If you can get them back to being straight again, Without Breaking them...

11. Curtis Coburn

Arrow to arrow, I placed it in correct. Was snug in there before the fan was placed on there. I made another post asking the best ways to straighten them out.

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have used a tweasers , or a skinny knife, but have to be very very careful not to break one off...

13. Curtis Coburn

Thanks. I started to use a knife, but it didn't work as well as a sewing needle. I believe I have straightened them all out. As from what I can tell. I will be testing it when I get my water cooling. I would rather use a water cooling system instead of air cooling. Why not upgrade now. (I will be making other upgrade to this system)