CPU and GPU overheating after upgrading to 1,333 MHz memory

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Neven Lovrić, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Neven Lovrić

Neven Lovrić Geek Trainee

I had 8 GiB of memory in my HP Pavilion dv7-4110em XE287EA#BED working at 1,066 MHz because one of the 2 4-GiB memory modules had a maximum frequency of 1,066 MHz. Yesterday, I replaced that module with a 4-GiB module which can work at 1,333 MHz. So, now my 8 GiB of memory works at 1,333 MHz. Windows work noticeably faster.

However, the CPU and GPU temperatures now go over 90 °C and the laptop goes into hibernation. The overheating occurs while running Microsoft Update in VMware Workstation on two virtual systems. Also, my entire disk is encrypted using TrueCrypt, so all read-write operations are CPU-intensive.

I cannot access my BIOS as it is protected with a password. That's the way I got it when I bought it. Will removing the mainboard battery make it forget the password or not? How long should I keep the battery removed?

Why is the GPU overheating, also, and not just the CPU?

2. Neven Lovrić

Neven Lovrić Geek Trainee

Solved. I placed two 8 - 9 mm planks beneath the laptop and now the temperature is usually 70-something °C. When I ran an AES, AES-Twofish, Serpent, AES-Twofish, Serpent-AES, Twofish-Serpent, AES-Twofish-Serpent, and Serpent-Twofish-AES encryption and decryption benchmark with TrueCrypt on 1 GiB of data, the temperature of core 2 (numbering starting with 0) reached 97 °C before the benchmark was completed.

Also, the laptop is very fast now; perhaps twice as fast as it was before I installed 1,333 MHz memory and placed planks below it. I estimate that it was operating at 80-something or 90-something °C before, but I never checked the temperature because it didn't cause any problems obviously related to the temperature, such as emergency hibernation.