Cursed Sky Router?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Dwarfer, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hi, I was on a job today with a problem with his network. It would DC occasionally saying "network cable unplugged" at bottom of screen.

The internet and network would be inactive for the PC, if I plug the ethernet cable into my laptop it works fine, but back to the PC and it wouldn't find the network /router.

Eventually the PC would find the network again and the Internet would come on the PC. (The internet is fine on the router)

There are 2 PCs and both of them have the same problem! They're connected via ethernet on the same router, I have come to the conclusion it must be a bad router damaging the PC network cards some how (maybe a static pulse through the ethernet cable) frying the PC network controller.

It's a black sky wireless router (they're usually white in my experience). I've recommended a dust-clean inside the PCs to remove dust (as the network controllers could be suseptible to dust) and ordered 2 PCI network cards.

Anyone have any ideas about the problem? The network cards are part of the motherboard

2. macbeton

macbeton Guest

Try another NiC, if that helps - sell it to the person. I usually have 1 spare NiC in my bag, for situations like this.

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

I'm going back on saturday with a new network card and a usb version too to check them both.. I cant understand how both onboard cards could 'malfunction' like this, unless its the router they're connected to :dry:

we'll see how i get on

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

don't worry about it being black, it just means it's a newer router than a white one

hmmm, the prob may be the telephone socket, is the router connect to the master socket or an extention?

also is the phone they are using less than say 5 years old, if so open the master phone socket & disconnect the bell / ring wire (orange) even if it's old phone the microfilters should recreate a ring signal

the only connections required are blue / white & white / blue

try this and the probs may vanish

is wireless a prob too?

edit: i wouldn't have thought it was NIC

edit: can both systems access the net simaltainously?