Default Bizarre Low Score on 3D Mark 05

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by urb1972, Sep 7, 2005.

1. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I run a multiplayer game with good framerate with graphics down to performance settings on 800x600

I have INTEL D586PERL mobo, P4 2.4 processor, NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5200 graphics card, and 1g memory.

So why is my 3D Mark 05 score 200??????
    (no that really is just two zeros...)

I tried running it on 800x600 but the results are just as poor.

Help please :eek:hah:

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Bizarre Low Score on 3D Mark 05

It's a very demanding benchmark, that's very low but it's not too surprising really. It's mostly graphics intensive and works everything harding than most games. No offense but you're system isn't really cut out for 05. I got low scores with 03 so I don't bother with 3Dmark as I feel its not an accurate depiction of the cards/systems performace. While games are.

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Well said Ex.
    My FX5200 only got 2350~ in 03 so i havn't even bothered with 05 yet till i get my 6600!
    EDIT: The actual score i got was 1873!

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

fx 5200, scoring that in 3d mark 03, naaa that aint true.

ex, his specs are ok, with a 3.0ghz processor (p4) and a better graphics card (x800xt pe)

5. pelvis_3

Why aint that true?
    That scors is 'thereabouts' as i can't remember the exact score!

6. Willz

its an fx 5200!!, there like worthless and are nto capable of playing crap all

7. pelvis_3

Well actually its the ultra version and if you believe they can't play 'crap all' your insane!
    When ock'ed this card performs better than you expect!
    Anyways, i'm not straying off topic any more!

8. Willz

fx 5200 256mb oc'd to max i can get it, still cant play crap all, so ultra when overclocked, will not be able to, its far from a good card, its a really card for people who never play games, its like so good.

9. pelvis_3

Precisely, that's what it is, i don't game much and don't feel the need to!
    If you want' to go get an X800XT or whatever and critisize my FX5200U then so be it, but i won't take it lying down!

10. Willz

:p your going to have to, x800xt pe thrashes it, so you might aswell take it lying down :p, i have an x800xt pe

11. pelvis_3

Like i said, so what, big deal!
    I don't play many games so it really does'nt bother me if your card thrases mine!
    You don't really have an argument here as i don't care, if i don't care you haven't got any ammo against me!
    If you want to continue your constructive critisim them PM me!
    (mods/admins, sorry about off topic posts)

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

3dmark isn't supposed to run good, it's supposed to beat the hell out of your computer and rate it.

13. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

Boo hoo :( I only changed it from an MX400 to an FX5200 to play games as well...

Wilhub, did you say 256? I thought it was 128.

I PRIMARILY want my PC for games, nowadays, so based on the specs I've told you all, what do I need to upgrade?

Memory (Perhaps, I have a Gig but a mix of PC2100 and 3200 so will sort that to all DDR 400 soon).

Processor (thinking of getting a 3.0)

Graphics card (well I've always been an NVIDIA man (an old girlfriend's pc (circa 1998 - when the dinosaurs roamed and we got exited about upgrading to Win 98, sigh if only we knew) had an AMD K6 and an ATI processor. I remember having to dl a patch in order to play a game, then the games it was previously on stopped working. The game? Unreal. The first one.

So obviously a graphics card update but what? Know this is the wrong thread (mod move if neccessary) but it's linked to my poor benchmark scores.

I will go ATI if people advise, but I mainly play JOINT OPERATIONS (not even demanding next to games of today) and just want FAST gaming (with sharper graphics as a bonus).

So with my specs, best card for under £100? And how much better than the FX5200 will that be?

14. pelvis_3

Well any card these days is better than a FX5200 but you may be able to get away with a GF6600 or 6600GT for under £100!
    The 6600 or the GT will absolutely wax the 5200!
    BTW: The FX5200 also comes in 256MB versions.

15. Willz

yes i had the bfg oc 256mb fx 5200

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The 5200 truely isn't a 'bad' card. Obvioulsy by todays gaming standards it isn't something to brag about but there are plenty of games out there that will run fine on that card. I always use my friends GeForce 4MX as an example, he was able to play HL2 at smooth clip with a 1.9GHz P4, 512MB's or 2100 ram and the MX with settings on high and medium. I know because I was there and could hardly belive it. And the 5200 is a good couple steps above the 4MX. If you really aren't pleased with the performance beyond 3Dmark than I would suggest getting a GeForce 6800 which is pretty much the fastest card in your budget. If for some reason it's more expensive in the UK Pelvis' idea is great, the 6600GT is also a good choice. You'll be amazed at how much faster everything plays with settings cranked up. Those cards are miles ahead of the 5xxx series.

17. Willz

no the x800xt pe from oc.co.uk is cheaper than any 6800gt and will beat it, look at mine asus x800xt pe for £158 in the end!!!, i can run hl2 and far cry on maximum settings and both run beyond 50 fps, its usually 70 for both of them or max settings inc 16x aa and max res

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

6800 vanilla dude, I don't know what it costs in Britain but it's about $160 USD. And when I say fastest in his price range I mean fastest AGP card by the way.