Dell Inspiron 1501 doesn't boot

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Crusha19, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

Hi Everyone

I recently got a Dell Inspiron 1501 from one of my friends. The laptop appears to be about 5 or so years old.

When I press the power button I hear a fan spin up quite loudly and a noise from the DVD drive. After that I can hear a fan running quietly. The power light and the charging light are both on but nothing else appears to be happening.

I have pulled the laptop apart and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, although I don't really know what to look for in terms of damage.

Anybody have any ideas for me to try to see if I can get this thing working again?

Thanks.

EDIT: I am thinking that the problem is a dead CPU. Any way to confirm this?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

It should have a plugin on the side/back for an external monitor, try to hook up an external monitor to see if it will work then, If not Then it is more than likely the motherboard.

3. Crusha19

I dont think it is a display problem, the HD light doesnt ever come on. I am with you thinking the mobo is toast. I guess this is one for the garbage can.

4. slipsand

slipsand Geek Trainee

hi
    i understand your problem,this is a normal problem for all dell laptop..
    i have an idea to boot this,you can boot your dell laptop though hardware mode...

online cable store

5. Crusha19

How do I do this?

6. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

I would try the external monitor to see if there are any errors coming up on screen first. Also, the LED's on the keyboard, like the number lock and scroll lock are used by the BIOS to give error messages for Dell laptops. If they are flashing or steady color they can be giving an error that you can lookup online to find out where it is failing.