Discipline In Schools.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Skaeleen, Mar 26, 2003.

?

Should they Re-instate School Discipline?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Wont Make A Difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

People are now debating wther there should be a Law giving the teacher FULL auhority of the classroom (In the continental US). The kids theese day's have no respect, and since they ruled out true discipline, of ettiing hit on the wrists, or humiliating them serverley, they have lost their power. In my school, while we were in French class, we had a tacher named Mr. Roy. He was gay. Kids used to make fun of him no stop, shoot chairs at him, jump on his desk, is this appropriate? No. It limited my learning ability in that class, and I lost 5 months of valuble learning time. If we had a rule, he could have disciplined the kids ass, although it was my best friend, its gotten so out of hand theese days.

Now, I want to hear what you have to say. Should they re-instate the old ways of brutality, I mean, kids theese days are pretty tough, but if we start from young, the kids would learn, and teenagers being able to do what they want, and act like they are 24 dosent help the matter any.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I do not think hitting children is a good way to show them who's the boss.
    First of all, when you become a teacher, you have to have in mind that children are children, and that they're gonna' make fun of you on everything and anything they can find, whether you are gay or not, whether you wear glasses or not.

Second of all, not everyone can be a teacher. It takes natural authority to be a good one. What that means is that you have to command respect just by your attitude, by looking at the children.
    When I was in secondary 4 (here in Quebec we have 6 years of elementary school, and 5 years of high school, then Cegep, then university, so this would be the 5th year of high school), we had a physics teacher who everyone hated, we would talk loud, and show absolutely no respect for him. But at the same time, we had other teachers who we did not like, but we just didn't do anything about it.
    Another example is when I was in secondary 2.
    That year, we had 3 French teachers. We used to throw rubber balls, coins, we used to tap our feet all at the same time, we used to yell in class etc.
    But at the same time, we didn't do that with all of the other teachers.

My point is, some teachers have what it takes, some don't.

If we start hitting children because they don't follow the rules, they'll grow having in mind that if they ever break the rules, they're gonna be hit. They'll grow having in mind that the only way to cope with children is to hit them, and they might even beat their own children.
    It was proven that people who beat their wife/children, in a great percentage, were people who had grown up with parents beating them.
    It can also be good to break the rules sometimes. Personally, I try to follow the rules as much as I can. But sometimes, if I wanna say something to my friend, I'll just say it, it takes 2 seconds, it's off my mind, and I can then concentrate better on what the teacher says. I don't think I would do it if I thought I'd be hit by doing it.
    This could drive children to live in fear. It could have permanent consequences.

Like I said, I don't want my children to think that because it is the law, it is good, and because it is outside the law, it is bad.
    I want my children to be open-minded, I want them to make their own thoughts on the world.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It depends on how they're hit. If we're talking spankings, which would fall with 5 or less swats on the rear end, that's something that they need to becareful with, but it should be available. I went to a private school K-12, and when the need arised for a spanking (was down the line on punishments), the parents would be called first.
    A little healthy fear---in the sense of respect is a good thing. I'm not pro beat-the-shit-outta-the-punk thing. There is a line between corporal punishment and abuse. If not that, then something that will act as a deterrent---in a healthy manner.
    I was spanked as a kid, and I'm no worse for it. I had a sore ass many a time, but that's about the only place that was sore. I wasn't slapped in the face or punched. My dad was spanked as a kid, as well as his siblings. NONE of them have ever hit their wives. People can blame spankings and actual abuse on the persons actions, but ultimately, they did it. Your childhood is still no excuse for abuse.
    I think it also depends on the kid as to how you discipline them. Some don't take much while you need to be highly creative with others. It's highly dependant on your motives: love or hate. There are some people that will gauge if the consequence is worth the action---my brothers tend to be like that sometimes---so it's another factor. I don't think every kid needs spanked if you want to make your point. Money can be very motivating. I don't have kids yet, and I'm not sure if I can bring myself to spank them. It's not because I fear being abusive, it's just something that seems very difficult to do, disciplining someone you love.

I do agree with you on that not everyone is a teacher. I've had several that were nice people, but they sucked in classroom management and teaching altogether. They just didn't really make themselves deserving of respect, and thus, our class generally goofed off the whole time.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You're right.
    Sometimes a spanking cannot hurt !

My father spanked me a couple of times when I was young, sometimes in the face, but not very hard, and not multiple times, just once. Nowadays if he did this I would never accept it, but that's another story...

I think it is right for parents to do it, but not teachers, because I believe a teacher's job is too teach his field, period.

But if the teacher has to call the parents before having the right to spank a child, it's already an improvement. Then again you do not know the strength the teacher will use, and you cannot measure that. It is a very slippery ground.

I still think there are other ways to demand respect.

As for wife beaters. Childhood is not an excuse. But, sometimes those people cannot get out of it without help, and childhood explains behavior, sometimes.

I too, would never be able to spank my children (I don't have children btw), I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I ever did that.