Do I have a driver problem? Monitor Colours

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by EamonX1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. EamonX1

EamonX1 Geek Trainee

I just installed Windows 98 2nd Edition on four-year old computer with LG Studioworks 700S Monitor. I find when I go to Control Panel/Display/Settings that there are only TWO colour settings (2 colours and 16 colours). The Screen Area slider 640 by 480 will NOT slide. The Monitor is set to Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). I downloaded a driver from Driver Guide for this Monitor. But when I tried to install it (to change the old driver) I failed. I was asked for a file with an .inf extension. The downloaded driver had a .icm extension. I tried reinstalling Windows 98, but this made no difference. How can I get the choice of monitor colours required for many of the programs I want to work. Can you help?

2. adamwalker13

adamwalker13 Geek Trainee

Sounds more like a graphics card problem... which graphics card are you using?

3. EamonX1

EamonX1 Geek Trainee

How do I identify the graphics card? (it it listed in the device manager list??)

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Download a program called belarc or everest, it is an hardware Identifier..
    This will tell you what video adapter you have and then you can get the right video driver for it.

5. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

i don't know, but does 98 have dxdiagnostics. coz if it does, go to run->type dxdiag->display then it should show you the name

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Usually this thing happens due to driver conflict because other day when I was using the MS update website then there were 3 hardware drivers updates aswell. Which included my Video Card drivers. When I installed them then It was like same which Eamon has stated. What I did was rollback Video drivers to the previous one and installed it again. Which worked very well for me.
    You can also pull out and plug in again your VGA card (if you are not onboard Graphics) because sometimes a loose graphics card can be the problem in loosing image colours.