Does CD Burning Speed really matter?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by wild0104, Oct 14, 2004.

1. wild0104

wild0104 Geek Trainee

What with all the proliferation of technology these days almost everyone has a cd or dvd burner in alteast one computer they own. I've thought of myself as a pretty tech savvy person for atleast the past 3-4 years. Last year I began college majoring in Computer Engineering. I got my first cd burner about 5 years ago, it was an 8x Imation pretty decent for its time. I've since upgraded to a 48x cd-rw/dvd drive, and am about to make the plunge by getting a dvd burner, which i waited on only because of the slooow write speeds and thus long disc burn time. However getting back on topic, I just heard a collegue say that the speed at which you burn a disc can affect what drives can read it, i.e. burning a disc at 24x would mean that an older 8x cd-rom drive wouldn't be able to read it. Is this true?!? :confused: I've never heard that, and while I don't know much about the exact technically specs on how cd's and dvd's are burned I suppose on some small level this does make sense to me. Can anyone confirm and/or deny this? Or shed some more light on the process of burning cd's/dvd's?

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Burning spead in a nutshell is how fast cd is burned, it has nothing to do with ist ability to be read. It's just the rate of which it is burned the files and formatt aren't different. If an older cd-rom can not read the cd there is something wrong with the cd-rom drive not the CD itself.

3. littlesaj

littlesaj Geek Trainee

agree with above, the only thing about write speeds is if you do it too fast the you get buffer underrun which im sure you know about,i have got a five year old cd rom and it reads all the disks i burn fine

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

There is a point where the speed is such that it's not going to make a big difference. Like a 48x CD burner and a 52x CD burner. Yeah, the 52x should be a little faster, but the difference is pretty minimal. Sure it cuts down time, but the time to cut is increasingly small, so the extra speed ends up not making a whole lot of difference.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Anyway, most cd drives don't usually get to full burning speed until the end of the cd, which can be pointless. The difference between a 48x and 52x is probably around 2secs. Also most burners these days come with buffer underrun protection.