Download Cap?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by stinkfing3r, Sep 26, 2007.

1. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

Hey all

well i moved from florida where i had nice fiber optic line blazing for downloads and gaming back to cable modem.

Im currently with charter communications and located approx 20min St. Louis (on the IL side)

Ive always had the basic internet plans no matter where i lived (San Diego, Tampa, Vtech) but always with different companies (Cox, Verizon) and i could download around average around 80-100kb/s with peaks at over 300. I was content with that so i never upgraded. Well now i have the same package but with charter and its terrible. I cannot download over 50kb/sec and even having my modem plugged in affects my cable :-/

So any ideas to what is the problem? Just crappy ISP? maybe the setup i have?

its hooked up like this

Wall
    |
    Splitter -- Cable box
    |
    cablemodem (linksys BEFCMU10)
    |
    wireless router (linksys WRT546)
    |
    wireless adapter (linksys w/speedbooster)
    |
    Gateway GM 5472 + 2hd's + BFG 7950GT OC

So thats what i got. Just doesnt seem right to have highspeed internet and it maxes out at 50kb. I feel like im wasting my money.

[​IMG]

thats the results from speedtest.net

thats the speak easy speed test.

thats from charter. Now the first time i did it, it was 530000ish bits/second

So i dont know. maybe they just suck?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

if you could download at higher speeds with other companies in comparison to the current ISP, I'd give them a call to see what they say.

Try connecting without the filter to see it it improves things?