Dual ASUS DRW-24B1ST Not Burning / Burning Blank Discs

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Qinael, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Qinael

Qinael Geek Trainee

Hello,

I am having a bizarre issue with burning CDs on my ASUS DRW-24B1ST drives. I built my computer with parts purchased from Newegg a little under a year ago and installed dual DVD/CD drivers; there are two identical drives installed, and both worked perfectly for several months.

I attempted today for the first time since this September to burn an audio CD. Suddenly, both drives have ceased to write properly. The software indicates a successful burn took place, however the disc is either empty, fails to read entirely (a series of clicks and whirs regardless of what computer among 3 I test it on), or indicates the appropriate amount of space is taken on the disc but with no files visible. Other times, it will report that no amount of space is taken on the disc, but that none is available, either. The disc itself reflects having been written on (holding it up to the light shows a darker inner circle), so I do not think it is a failure of the write lasers. Both drives still read and play discs without a problem.

I have attempted cleaning out the inside of the burners with spray air, and have further manually removed the hardware from device manager and allowed Windows to rediscover it. The same issue persists.

I have tried burning data discs, audio discs, mp3 discs, and wma discs all with the same result.

I have tried burning via Cheetah DVD Burner, ImgBurn, and Windows Media Player. All return no errors on the burn, but fail to produce a usable disc. Verification fails on ImgBurn with "Failed to Read Sector 0 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error." Windows Media Player produced an autoplay window, but the disc still either showed as blank or locked up the program on two different computers.

"Enable CD Recording on this Drive" is checked.

Due to concerns about the quality of media, I tried burning multiple discs from the same stack on my laptop and all worked perfectly well. Every disc I have attempted in both of my ASUS drives has failed. As such, the problem seems to be with the drives, not the disc brand.

I have attempted disconnecting one drive and running with the remaining, but the same issue remains. The unlikelihood of the exact same issue arising in both drives at the exact same time leads me to question it being a hardware issue, but I am running out of other options rapidly. Please let me know if you have any ideas. I am running Windows XP SP3, and am considering upgrading to Windows 7 soon.

Thank you in advance

2. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

Are you using the latest drivers?
    Try Nero Essentials in burning.. I encountered this same problem recently with my external dvd/cd drive.. And it turned out to be the burning software and a junk dvd that I used in burning.

3. Qinael

Qinael Geek Trainee

Hello,

I have tried Nero Express and received the same problem. I am attaching the error log.

Attached Files:

• Log.txt
      File size:
      7.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

Try to use one of the drives in another computer, see if it works. You can also try and install the latest drivers for your drives. (Windows 7 has better automatic driver installations)