dvd-drive removal

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by vik, Feb 22, 2002.

1. vik

vik Geek Trainee

I removed my dvd drive and soon after started the comp....it worked fine for 5-10 mins and then slowed down, so I thought I'd restart. Since that restart, all I can get to is the Big Blue screen whether I enter in normal or Safe Mode or any other. When I tried to boot from my WinXP disk, the setup does not seem to recognize the first partition on the hdd or that it is in native NTFS.
    If reformatting is my last preference....is there anything I can do?
    Thanks
    Vik

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Questions:

Did you remove the DVD drive in Device manager?

Did you try reattaching the DVD drive to your system?

What's your system specs?

3. vik

vik Geek Trainee

i didn't take out the drive in device manager before removing it physically (though i did disable it because it was broken). i didn't think it would matter...never had this problem in 98SE..

i also tried putting it back...thought that would be the fastest way to fix it....nope :(

system specs:
    elements via kt-266 (DDR) mobo 4X AGP w/ athlon xp 1600+ @1.40 GHz, 256 MB crucial ram, 40 GB 7200 rpm hdd, geforce 2 mx-400 running winxp home

thanx
    vik

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

As win xp home is loading press F8, a menu should come up, from there choose 'Load with last good known working configuration' it says something like that anyway. It might work! ot it might not...

5. vik

vik Geek Trainee

hehe tried that too....tried loading normally and safe mode...all try to load winxp but encounter a problem and the blue screen comes up no matter what....would posting the specific error (something like x0000000320 etc etc) help?

vik

6. Sniper

you could try and search for the specific error on yahoo.com you might come up with some results. If not a re-format will be the best option, I think anyway, Why wait days to try out something new to fix the problem? while you could have fixed the problem under 2 hours.

7. vik

vik Geek Trainee

yeah...theres just some stuff on there im trying my hardest not to lose...even tried my friends oooold 4GB hard drive to see if i could reformat it to winxp....but the setup doesnt recognize the drive...ahh well...
    other ideas are still welcome :)
    vik

8. Sniper

try setting the hard drive you have as secondary on a friends computer (must have XP Home, with NTFS formated HD), this might work, other wise the HD looks faulty.

9. vik

vik Geek Trainee

hmmm good idea....but i dont know anyone with xp home...at least around me....would it work with someone who's got xp pro?
    right now im building the courage to reformat
    vik

10. Sniper

yeh, I don't see why not, as long as he/she is using NTFS.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Might also want to try setting the BIOS back to the defaults, or at least the default settings for the IDE channels (PIO & DMA modes). My Asus A7V is really picky about the IDE settings for some reason, not sure if this is the same case here or not. Good luck!