Easy way to take out 4 pin power cables?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Waffle, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

probably sound like a weed here, but those power cables are damn hard to take out, particularly from CDROM drives.

Is there an easy way to take em out? I just pull it real hard until it flies out....

2. Addis

Addis The King

SO true. it seems that hard disks and everything else like GFX cards is ok. But cd rom drives, especially my LG grab the connector and glue itself. I find the best way is to give a good yank, but thats not exactly clever or safe, you could always try to twist it from side to side and wiggle it out, but even then it takes me ages.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I just grab 'em and wiggle them out.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

ok thanks. wanted to check there isn't some really easy way of doing it. :rolleyes:

thanks

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you could have someone else do it for you...

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I use needle-nose pliers for the real tough ones. Just position the pliers behind the nubs on either side of the molex connected, and rock it back and forth until it comes loose.

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I normally just pull it real hard it flies out, altho I have occasionally whacked my gfx card in the ass in the process..which I'm sure won't do it any good.

Pliers it is then.

8. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

9. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I pull and wiggle plus the more you do it the easier it gets wether thts coz im building a technique r because its wearing the plastic down i dunno but i take it out more than once a day

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

then you have too much time on your hands, my friend :p!!

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Honestly... :p if you want the connections to be looser, I'd just shave the molex connectors down with a razor blade. Of course, looser connections may come apart at inoppertune times, so it's a double edged sword. If it was me, I'd just take the connectors off only when it's necessary and not worry too much about it. ;)

P.S. - the new SATA standard of power connectors are much easier to work with, so hopefully we'll be seeing that more and more in the near future.

12. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I dont have time on my hands i'm using a :swear: pc that isnt mine and I dont have much chouce because it only has two power leads which means i can onli hav 1 hd and 1 cd rom (and other variations) connectected at once which is indcredibly annoying but theres nothing i can do about it coz my uncle wont lemma 'mess up' his pc.

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

These cables are relatively easy when stiff and not moving to free..

All you do is take on connector in each hand, and rock them in opposite directions as if you are rocking a seesaw, whilst pulling apart.