ethernet driver for a Dell Optiplex gx1

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by efx2003, Mar 28, 2006.

1. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

problem with network adapter for a Dell Optiplex gx1

I have a Dell Optiplex gx1 pentium-2 that was running win98. I have now installed a full version of winxp-sp2. The computer motherboard has a built in network card but winxp does not recognize it. I have looked in the Device Manager and does not show a network adapter. The ethernet cord is plugged into the back of the network card and a green light is on showing the network card is on. Why does winxp don't recognize it. Could there be something wrong with the network card or do I need a driver. Does anybody know of a web site that has the software and driver for this computer. Please help if you can. Thank You

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Your network card is either an Intel Pro100+ Ethernet or an 3Com 3c90x Ethernet Controller. I'd put my money on the Intel chip though

Download the Intel here

If that doesn't work, then try the 3Com here

3. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

Thanks alot. Let me try that.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Navagate to:

Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager >

Look for your Ethernet device (it will have a question mark or exclamation mark next to it). Right click it and select reinstall driver (update driver).

A wizard will begin.

Select 'search for drivers automatically' and press next. Tick the 'check floppy drive' and press next.

If this fails, I may have given you the wrong drivers

Try these