External Laptop HDD doesn't get detected !!

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by gaurav200x, Sep 5, 2007.

1. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

Hi folks,

I am using a Western Digital laptop HDD made external (with the help of casing) and connected to my USB 2.0 port.

Now I did get detected the first time, i connected to my computer but now it is not getting detected. Upon connecting, my win xp sp2 will detect it momentarily, i.e. the USB Mass Storage icon will appear for a second and then vanish.

I have checked the same on my friends' systems and it works there, however, does not on my system.

I have tried to update my OS with sp2. I can't really figure out what can be the possible problem.

My mobile, webcam and optical mouse, all work through these USB ports.

What sort of problem can it be? Can it be a registry problem ?

Please help.

Regards,
    Gaurav Mittal

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ok, as you've eliminated the possible enclosure failure by testing it on a friends system, the problem is with your system, with the HDD connected are their any yellow exclamation marks in device manager ?

what antivirus & firewall are you using ?

have you scanned for adware / malware, if not try using Ad-Aware & Spybot S & D

which antivirus software to use is a debatable subject, some people recommend AVG, however, personally when i used XP, i used Avast, also some people recommend CCleaner as a registry scanner

if you think a problem exist within the registry you can scan the registry with RegCleaner

give those a try a post the results

Edit: has the HDD stopped working, if so what has changed on your system

3. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

No i don't see any yellow exclamation marks. I have a mercury motherboard with Sis USB 2.0 ports.

The details as i see in the device manager under usb are:

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open host Controller
    SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open host Controller
    SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced host Controller
    UBS 2.0 Root hub
    UBS Root hub
    UBS Root hub

Acc. to the guide that came alongwith my system, there are 6 USB ports in my system. 4 at the back and 2 in the front, however, nothing happens when i connect any device to the back panel. Only the device connected in the front panel work.

Yesterday, i removed all the USB stuff shown in my device manager and even unplugged the usb mouse i have. I then inserted the cable of my HDD into the usb port and then scanned for new hardware and viola ! it took it. I was able to do my work.

Now again, when i try to insert the cable, the same thing happens. The HDD gets detected for a moment and then again get disconnected (vanishes... i know this from the connecting and disconnecting sound windows plays)

Also, when i tried to remove the whole USB devices from Device Manager, and then tried to plugin the HDD and scanned for new hardware, it didn't install it.

Rather, what always happens is the HDD will get detected momentarily and get vanish. Please see the link below

[​IMG]

4. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

I use AVG anti virus with no firewall installed. As i said yesterday the HDD got detected somehow, but when i tried the same way today, it isn't. Secondly, the usb mouse works fine in the ports.

As far as i have understood this problem, it seems to be some registry issue.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

after scanning with those 3 and delete any suspects they find

BTW: it could be a good idea to create a restore point before you start

please forgive me if i'm wrong as my memory of windowz is fading because i use Linux

also update the definitions before scanning

edit: using Windowz without a firewall is a bad idea - you are almost guaranteed to have spyware, and the firewall built into Windowz is crap IMO

Edit: if you don't understand anything, ask

6. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

I've done all you've asked.

What happens is, when i connect this HDD to the USB port, there is a mechanical sound coming from the speaker (which stops if the hard disk properly gets installed and western digital comes up). The device manager does detect it and "USB mass storage" comes in there, but there a second later, it automatically gets disconnected too. No drives are created in the 'My Computer'.

What could be the reason?

7. xboarder2000

xboarder2000 Geek Trainee

Assuming USB devices work under 'safe mode" (i cannot remember)-connect the hd and start up in safe mode, if the drive shows up, that will tell you that it isn't being friendly with some kind of system driver on your computer. or that there may be an obtrusive program (spyware) blocking it. Also, im assuming you are not using any kind of USB extension cable? Also, as for the ports on the back of your computer, you may need to turn them on in the BIOS if you havn't tried that already. There may be a special "jumper' physically placed on the motherboard itself you can switch in order to get the BIOS into maintenance mode. hope that helps.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry, i just presumed you hadn't used the posted software because you didn't post any results of the tests, you should NOT use Windowz on the internet without a good firewall

have you tried upgrading the mobo chipset / USB drivers with the latest version ?

also try reseting the BIOS as everything will be reset to it's defaults (in the BIOS)

also have you tried disabling USB 2 so the device uses USB 1.1 (yes it is slower, but try it for testing purposes)

BTW: i don't know how to disable USB 2, it may be in the BIOS

BTW: i will keep searching net for a solution

9. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

How to upgrade the chipset?? I tried finding the drivers, but couldn't find anything. I am using SiS USB ports.

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the chipset & USB2 drivers are on the CD that came with your mobo or system, the first place you shoul look for updated drivers is you mobo manufacturers website, although if i remember XP correctly, i think there is a generic USB drivers from M$ & i think SIS also have a generic driver available for download, i'll try looking

BTW: what mobo are you using ?

have you tried slipstreaming your XP CD, look here

Edit: i've attached the driver i think you need, it is the SIS generic driver, however, you may be better downloading a driver from you motherboard manufacturers website

what motherboard are you using ?

BTW: i STRONGLY recommend updating the SP2, and slipstreaming your XP CD (upgrading to SP2 may fix you problem, you don't need to install SP1 and then SP2 installing SP2 will apply all the fixes in SP1)

11. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

Well I tried to check the drive in the safe mode and it works. Also, I checked the power specification of the drive here.

I came to know it requires 960mA whereas the max. each port could supply is only 500mA and hence, the double ended cable needs to be plugged into 2 usb sockets to be able to draw enough power to spin properly.

I assume the sound I was talking earlier was due to the disk not getting enough power to spin and hence even though it was getting detected, it used to vanish away automatically.... It sounds logical enough.

Hence, i rebooted my system into normal mode, removed my USB mouse and plugged in the double end of the cable into 2 usb ports. Surprisingly, when i did that last time, it didn't take it. I guess, i should be connecting the device after reboot, without plugging my usb mouse.

I will check it again 2-3 times, to ensure this actually works.

However, there is something I don't understand. Agreed that it will need 2 ports to work. I still have 4 ports at the back of my CPU and if i plug my USB mouse in them, it doesn't get detected? Why ?? Also, please check the above link... Do I need to add jumpers to this drive ??

I'm attaching my motherboard manual, so that u can check it up.

Code:
    _http://rapidshare.com/files/54045159/KOB740FDMx_75A_.pdf.html

12. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

I am using Mercury motherboard, KOB 740 Fx

Had already installed sp2 long back

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

that url to your motherboard doesn't work after a torrent search for it & after removing the underscore from the beginning (_) Rapidshare says the file exists
    try emailing me through HWF here

BTW: no luck with google either, i'll try to find your motherboard manufacturers website (unless you have it to save me some time)

probably because a standard USB hub can only provide 100mA (the correct amount is 500mA) of power, so, i suggest you buy an external USB powered hub
    no, because that page is for the HDD inside the external enclosure, the HDD will probably already set to master inside the enclosure & the enclosure then acts as an IDE or SATA to USB convertor, so the jumper will already be set to default unless you've already moved it and can't remember where it was

Edit: i was wrong about the maximum of 100mA
    BTW: a powered USB hub usually provides 6A

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you need to get a USB powered hub that provides up to 6A to power your all your USB devices

BTW: thank you for making me learn about USB

15. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

Hi,
    thanks for taking so much pain for me.... The link is alright. You just need to not consider the "underscore" but the rest of the link.

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/54045159/KOB740FDMx_75A_.pdf.html
    [​IMG]

The figure shows that 500mA can be provided by each port and as given on this page

the HDD requires 960mA to spin. But if u look at diagram #5, a jumper configuration is given to reduce the power spin-up.... Will that help ?

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no problem, it gives me something to do
    yeah, it is, it was my fault because i've never used rapidshare

yeah, we both found that info, i used Wikipedia & you used your system
    probably not, because, it is designed to function as it is & you need to dismantle the external enclosure to move the jumper which will invalidate the warranty

you need an external powered USB hub

BTW: why did i want your mobo manual, i'll reread the thread to find out

Edit: the HDD enclosure is also being powered by the USB power as well as the HDD

17. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

as well as as the HDD ?? How come HDD is generating power? I believe the power sources are only USB ports

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the external casing is receiving power from the USB ports & the external casing is powering the HDD, is that better to understand ?, sorry for not explaining it very well, i live in Yorkshire, UK

19. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Geek Trainee

he he he.... that's ok buddy..... Just a slight confusion.... ! :)

20. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Check how much power its deriving from USB ports when u run this HDD through Safe Mode.

Which HDD you have got? Is it 3.5" (You need external power to run this) or 2.5" (Works with USB power straight away and doesnt need any external power source).

Also, check it with some other computer, if it works :eek:hah:

Also, when u plug this device in, check in the Disk Management Tool (Right Click MyComputer > Manage > Disk Magmnt) on the right hand side bottom if there is any unallocated space.... Right click on it and initiate that HDD and format and partition... :)