Fast processor for new graphics cards?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by dsp23, Jan 10, 2002.

1. dsp23

dsp23 Geek Trainee

Hello. I'm thinking of getting a swanky new graphics card, GeForce3 or something like that, do I need a fast processor to take advantage of these cards? I've got a PIII 733 Mhz, do you think this would be fast enough? Thanks.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

It's fast enough :) The GeForce 3 should not have any problems, but as AMD's are quite cheap you could also go for a 1.3GHZ or something higher.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That outta hold ya for future CPU upgrades. Like Sniper said, a faster CPU would do that GF3 justice. Of course this is the man with a Radeon8500 paired with a couple of Pentium III 800EB's. ;)

4. dsp23

dsp23 Geek Trainee

Thanks for your replies guys! Unfortunately, I can't upgrade my processor any further without getting a new motherboard, which is a bit out of my price range at the moment. I think I'll get the GF3 anyway and worry about the CPU at a later date! Cheers, David.:)

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

If your going to pick up a GF3 I'd hold off a few weeks. The GF4 is should be launching in Feb. and once it's out the prices should drop on the GF3 line.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'll probably get the GF4 for a review at some point.