Fault finding software?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DavidNW, Aug 29, 2007.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

We all experience PC troubles at some stage. I was just wondering if there is some fault finding software out there that can troubleshoot and identify problems. I'm guessing that this is a bit too optimistic, but perhaps, there is always hope!

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

you mean a software that, if you experience some trouble, is ran and a report pops up and shows you some info and possible causes for that recent problem?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

There's software that can help, such as Memtest 86 and hard drive manufacturer drive diagnostic software. However, when it comes to troubleshooting hardware, software isn't that big. Knowing how to troubleshoot hardware is better than simply using software. What if you can't boot into the OS and that's where the software is loaded? What if there's a bug that causes trouble between the OS and the software. What if the power supply is bad? Outside of Gigabyte's Odin series, you're getting inaccurate readings based from BIOS. In the case of the Odin, the software is buggy and only works with Windows (at this time).

I'm sure it could be done, but as a practical matter, I see it as being more of a problem software resulting in angry customers.