Feature Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Sniper, May 26, 2006.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

This thread will list all user suggested features/ideas. I will organise them into two sections. Standard Members and Premium Members

Standard Members

- Please Suggest

Premium Members

- Custom Moods
    - Increased PM storage

I will update the list as often as I can :)

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Racism......lol

Edit: There is a question going in my mind. Why somebody will pay just for taking and giving help? Do you think anybody on this site requires any of this
    "
    - Custom Moods (planned)
    - Increased PM storage (planned)
    "
    I am sorry if it looks wierd.

3. Sniper

lol, I see your point, I will updating with allot of information as to how the ranks/membership levels, work, e.g. Normal Members, Active Members, Premium Members

About paying, now that’s optional no one is asking to pay to use the site, it’s free and always will be! It does however cost us to keep the site online.

Now when you have a small site, it costs little to host, but the larger the site gets, the more it can cost, as a result many sites have optional premium members. e.g. on other sites you would get extra features such as the ability to store extra PM's, have his/her username in gold colour, have the ability to move own threads etc

This payment goes towards helping with hosting costs ONLY. As to why someone would pay, it’s up to them! They want to be recognized as supporting members, want the extra PM storage etc etc etc

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Thanks for explainig, I got your point.

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

'HOWTO Tips 'n' Tricks Forum'

An open forum where anyone can contribution. Full of indepth guides and tutorials. Anyone can modify the tutorials as they see fit, although i'd recommend a minimum post count of about 50 to stop possible vandalism.

This has been discused before, in a thread created by Matt555. But I thought i'd stick it in here as well.

6. Sniper

so a bit like wiki? I'd need to make it so all changes are tracked so we can restore if needed?

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I guess your exams are all finished then? Hope they went well :D

Maybe add stuff like the flags, but instead of a flag, add a $ sign, stars, or something as well as a gold name to indicate the 'donator' status.

Additional site themes for the donators - someone would have to design them and set them up, but that would be an incentive.

8. megamaced

Yup :)

I guess so, but I think the 'minimum post count' should solve possible vandalism. Just like we have a 'minimum post count' for the 'Buy/Sell/Trade forums'.

Agreed. Gold is a good colour

I don't think it would be a good idea to allow 'Red, Green or Purple' in the users pallete, as that could conflict with Staff colours.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm liking the suggestions, gold for the donator status would be good - I also like the idea of having a currency sign instead of the flag if you've contributed - that's a cool idea. I'd gladly contribute :good:

So the Premium Members would get more control over their actions? (IE ability to move own threads etc...)

What about having a Premium Members only section where other things can be discussed? (just an idea - no idea what 'other things' could be discussed really - just a thought)

Also how would the contributions be made? Paypal maybe? How much will contribution be? Can you choose different levels of contribution?

10. megamaced

Sniper, perhaps you should offer the Gold Member service on a one month free trial :) That way we'd all get to play with all the features on offer!

Hopefully we'd miss the added features so much when our trial expired, that we'd just have to sign up for good!

11. Sniper

yup, I have finished uni, exams went quite well thanks.

I have work in a bit..(working part-time) currently writing a case review after which I will update the first post as to how ranks etc work around here and add more info about gold members, I think $10/year sounds good? A trial sounds like a good idea, I'll see what I can do with that.

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Sounds good Sniper, $10 a year is more than reasonable.

13. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I'll buy 3 years in advance :)

14. Addis

Addis The King

Wow, $10 a year really isn't that much, shouldn't be a problem for most of us to pay. Good luck with results :).

I think that the wiki thing could be good, but maybe a bit above 50 posts. 100 or more maybe, and that will also require the changes tracking system.

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

What about that shop feature, I remember Sniper saying it was here a while back but it was suggested by Exfoliate I think and generally was thought of as a good idea.

16. megamaced

I'd like to see a little 'acknowledgements box' at the bottom of each guide that listed the members who had contributed to it.

17. megamaced

I've got several HOWTOs that i've been writing up recently. The problem is that none of them are anywhere near finished and I don't have enough time to work on them at the moment.

With the WIKI system, I could post what I have done so far and let other members finish them.

Some of the HOWTOs i've been working on:

• HOWTO Make Partitions in FDISK
    • HOWTO Initialise & Make Partitions in Disk Management

Those two guides are the follow up to my HOWTO Install A Second Hard Disk guide.

• HOWTO: Customise ubuntu for an older computer (ubuntu on ice!)

• HOWTO: Hauppauge Remote Control in Kubuntu

I've just posted that one in the Linux forums :)

18. megamaced

Sniper, for the time being could you create the HOWTO forum and then later, when you have time, turn it into a wiki?

19. Sniper

Let me have a chat with the admins first :)

20. megamaced

That's fair enough :)

If I am pushing my weight, feel free to tell me where to stick it :D