Few questions

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by marineteen1000, Dec 11, 2004.

1. marineteen1000

marineteen1000 Geek Trainee

Hi All
    First sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section :( .
    Anyways i need someone to tell me how i can use my grandads internet connection.my computer would be roughly be around 50 metres a way from the connection i want to share.How can i do this dont i need bluetooth or something soory if this is a hard questio to understand.
    oh and the my grandads internet connection is aol broadband.
    thanks
    p.s.
    also how how much would this cost me over here in the uk.

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I've moved the thread to Networking and Security, but no worries :good:

Unfortunately AOL Broadband isn't the easiest to network. However, it can be done, and with our help it will be!

Do you want it wirelessly, or wired?

Wired is cheaper, a lot easier, the connection is faster and never fails. It does however mean running a cable through your house etc.

If this is possible, you would need 50 odd metres of crossover cables, I believe, and then you would simply share the internet connection on the one PC, and the computers would be networked. Give or take a few settings.

Wireless networking is more expensive, not as reliable and goes down sometimes for no reason, but if cabling is an issue, it may have to be so.

You'll need a Wireless Firewall Modem Router, about £80 for a decent one.
    And you will need a wireless PCI card in your PC about £30.

Then you connect it all up - your grandad's PC will be wired, yours will be wireless.

That's the gist of it, so let us know what sort of budget you have, and the best option for you is.

3. marineteen1000

HI
    My computer is not in my grandays house but my house is right next to his is that still ok.
    i got another question
    even thou we have broadband i have to put my password in to go on to my account but then the box comes up like dail up but different do u now what i mean.
    would that have any effect on the connection.,
    thanks.
    p.s.
    i should be able to get hold of that stuuf i'll be able to get it of ebay.

4. marineteen1000

Oh 1 more question what is bluetooth as ive got it on my phone.
    thanks

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Bluetooth is a form of wireless technology.

It is however, much more expensive than anything else for networking.

If you have cash to burn, then yes bluetooth networking would be the best option for a connection with 50metres.

6. Addis

Addis The King

Its probably best to have a normal Wireless connection but since its between 2 houses the connection quality might be an issue.

7. marineteen1000

Hi
    what can i do about the connection then
    would bluetooth be a better connection as i could get the equipment of ebay
    also if i was to get bluetooth would that wean that my phone whould also be connected.
    thanks.
    p.s.
    what can i do with bluetooth

8. Addis

Addis The King

To be honest bluetooth isn't great for home networking. It has a mazimum range of 30 feet and a top transfer rate of 1.5mps. your better off with a normal wireless network. A wired or WiFi network would be much more reliable and faster.

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

No, your phone wouldn't be "connected", but it would mean you could send stuff like images from your PC to the phone, and vice versa.

10. marineteen1000

Hi
    Thanks all
    So your saying go with a wireless modem router and a wireless pci card right?
    also u said that the connection might be quiet bad is their anything i can do to improve it.
    also when i log on to aol a box appers and in a way it dials up but it dosen'nt if u know what i mean will this have an effect on the connection.
    sorry if you can not understand that.
    thanks

11. marineteen1000

hi
    i have just done i searchn on the pci card things and i've got a question about them.
    it looks to me like i have got to take the tower aprat and insert it is that true if so is that complicated for a 13 year old.
    thanks

12. Addis

Addis The King

You can share a broadband connection with XPs built in ICS feature which makes it pretty easy to set up. But you obviously won't be able to connect if your not in the network in the first place. Can you explain your question a little clearer?

Just don't go for a bluetooth netowork stick with wireless. Although the signal can weaken its much better than bluetooth as bth is mainly for connecting phones, wireless keyboards mice etc.

13. Addis

Addis The King

Yeah but it should be pretty easy to do. All it requires is opening the case, locating a vacant PCI slot and plugging the card in. However you should take anti-static precautions by touching a grounded metal object before you start.

14. marineteen1000

Hi
    which question i have got quiet a few sorry.
    could u explain the anti-static precautions by touching a grounded metal object before you start please.
    this is like french to me i dont understand anything yet.
    sorry
    thanks

15. Addis

Addis The King

Since most components in computers are made up of logic gates etc they can be sensitive to electrostatic discharge. This is when static charge builds up and then is discharged and it can severely damage computer components. Components like RAM are especially vunerable to this so its best to touch a metal grounded surface so that you discharge any static BEFORE you touch any components so they are safe.

Could you explain the aol dial up question i mean.

I hope I've made it clear enough. :good:

16. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

With :swear: AOL, you have to first sign in with a password and username, then you have to go through the connection.

It shouldn't have any effect on the networking.

17. marineteen1000

Hi
    i went to staples and pc world just before to price up the things which i mhave been told to get.They recommended these
    A wireless access point
    a wireless usb network apdapter
    and a wireless usb adapter they also said not to worry about that aol dail up thing i was on aboot so would that equipment be ok as my grandads not going to let me open up his pc so i can insert some card thing so this would be a safer way?
    pc world said that i cnot share an aol connection as they would just close down my grandads account intill the old modem is pluged back in is this true.
    Thanks

18. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Yes, that's what staples told me, but I went and got a PCI card anyway cos they tend to be better, but if you aren't allowed to open up the case, the USB thing will be fine.

And it could be easier, who knows.

19. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Oh yeah - like I said at the start, AOL is a right b!tch to network, so it may not be possible for you.

It took my friend a year to get his AOL connection shared.

20. marineteen1000

Hi
    oh crap a year i don't like aol either its crap anyone now how i gets round this cant change isp.
    thanks