Guild Wars + Firewall = Bad

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by UnSeEn, Jan 18, 2006.

1. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Hiya. Recently arrived at private school, where they have a hell of a firewall. Won't let me play Guild Wars. Don't know if anyone is familiar with the game, but it's an online RPG which connects via ArenaNet. Now, I've debated cracking the firewall, but they can easily find out and grill the hell out of me. I need some way to get Guild Wars to switch ports or something so that it will work, but I'm not familiar with the whole firewall thing. Be great if someone could help. Cheers.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

If you manage not being able to
    silkroad is a free mmorpg that I've found plays just like GuildWars

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Guild wars doesn't forward easily, because it uses port 6112 for gaming but it also uses port 80 to connect to the auth server. I was just helping out another guy who was having huge lags every time he loaded a map, but once it loaded the game ran fine. Turned out his school used an underpowered filtered proxy on port 80, so he had huge load times even though they had a lot of bandwidth.

4. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Hmm...indeed. Whatever I try probably won't work. They already said that Guild Wars can't go through the server at the IT office (least that's what they want me to think). Thanks for the help. Oh and sorry again about my sig. It's all better now...

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Much better :)

6. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I have seen programs which can force a program to work on a certain port (i think i saw one one www.warindustries.com).

If you combine that with a [google]HTTP Tunnel[/google] you will be able to get it working on one port, port 80, the proxy at the other end of the tunnel will/should turn it back into two (at least thats how i think it works).

PS unless you wan to pay for a subscription to www.http-tunnel.com i would recomend you find somewhere to run the GNU tunnel (aka have you got FAST broadband?). You should download the free HTTP tunnel and use the speed test feature to see what speeds you can get through the network.

PS to obtain the LOCAL proxy server IP:port (the network proxy) goto (in internet explorer) tools > internet options > connection settings

OR, if internet options has been disabled.

open a command shell (C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe or command.com (use the latter if cmd.exe has been "disabled by your administrator")

type netstat, open a bunch of websites at the same time, hit enter as fast as you can (as netstat shows ACTIVE network connections) the proxy will most likely be on port 8000.

ive gtg sorry about the rushed reply!

7. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

That all sounds good, but won't the IT office suspect something? I've already been told that they know if someone is trying to "tinker" with the firewall. Big trouble if you do. I'm pretty sure they'll take away my laptop/ much more. I would love to try it out, on the grounds that it won't get me suspended. What do you think?