Hardrive Not Found

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by rickster28, Jan 13, 2007.

1. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

hi im building a computer but seem to run into few problems.. it cant seem to find or detect the any harddrives i connect. the motherboard is msi 845pe series 2 im usin pent 4 1.7 celeron with 256 drimm memory the hardrive is samsung 10 gb.i can get computer to run through set up as checks the computer but at end says no harddrice found cannot contuine. any help would be great as im just sittin here lost with no ideas

thanks for your time:(

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Did you connect the IDE or SATA cables correctly? BLUE IDE plug, into the BLUE IDE socket of the mainboard for the primary drives, and the black IDE plug into the BLACK IDE socket of the mainboard for the secondary drives. Also, did you set all the jumpers correctly? I'll attach a scheme for these settings:

Attached Files:

3. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

My partner did all that, cdd's and hdd's are set to master and slave. Both IDE's are in the right slots, Ill even double check to make sure.
    Thanks for taking time to answer.

4. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

Ok, its just coming up 'no drive attached to fast track controller'
    Any ideas?

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Have you ever tried to replace the IDE data cables? They might be broken. And what type of power supply are you using?

6. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

Brand new cables.
    Power supply, Atx 400w

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try setting up your system as Cable Select, also make sure the HDD is receiving power (spinning up)

also try waggling the molex connector
    [​IMG]

also check this page out (how to modify CS drive location on the IDE cable)

8. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

Tried that, also, how would i install the bios with the disc that came with the motherboard? Im guessing so :S

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

if you mean "how do i flash / update the BIOS" you shouldn't need to & its not a good idea, as you can perminently turn your mobo into a very pretty paperweight

does the drive spin up ?
    can you try a known good cable anyway ?[ot]albeit unlikly but IDE cables somtimes don't work, even if they're new[/ot]BTW: how is it configured now (master & slave or C/SEL

10. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

hi we tried it on cable select.still nothin i thought might be the cable tried 3 differnt nes last one is new one i brought just incase.still same message no drive connected to fast track bios not installed....i really appreicate all help thanks

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

perhaps taking a look at the manual may help[ot]there's only a windows manual, but i'm using Kubuntu, but MSI manual download is down,[/ot]BTW: do you have the manual ?

12. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

yes i have the manual an the drives that came with the motherboard i read all through still cant find anythin to do with why not booting.the motherboard also came with a d bracket 2 connecter which has way to identify system problems it its all comes up fine.

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

isn't there a troubleshooting section[ot]what drives came with the mobo, or do you mean discs (optical media)[/ot]is the HDD spinnig up ?

14. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

hmm how can i find that out? its heating up, would that be what you meant?

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, can you hear the drive start spinning when you power on the system ?, also, is it possible to boot from one of the optical drives ?

16. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

hmm no i cant here any sound from hardrive i think. also yes i can boot with cd rom so far then stops as no harddrive to install windows on

17. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i've just done a bit of research, apparently your mobo doesn't support a 1.7 Celly (any family of Intel CPU's), your mobo only supports Northwood or Prescott cores not Willamette[ot]if i were you, i'd get a new CPU e.g. probably a Prescott based Celly 350 D (3.2Ghz)[/ot]

18. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

hmm ok but according to my manual it says supports 478 for intel pent 4 processor up to 2.8 and higher my processor is intel pentium celeron processor 1.7 400sfb

19. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well i'd trust the manual

BTW: i know your CPU is a Willamette because Intel only made a 1.7Ghz Willamette not 1.7 Northwood or Prescott cores
    not Willamette

Edit: Intel pentium and Intel Celeron are 2 different types of processors

20. rickster28

rickster28 Geek Trainee

so guess that means my cpus no good.always thought if cpu was wrong nothin would work but i guess il have try buy anotherone thanks for the help