HDD recommendations for Linux needed.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Chahaoh, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Chahaoh

Chahaoh Geek Trainee

Can anyone recommend a brand & model number of 500MB PATA/IDE hard disc drive that is known to 'just work' with Linux? I'm newbie, so messing with the kernel is not an option, and don't want to have to fuss with the drive to get it functional. My first choice was Western Digital, but keep seeing lots of complaints of Linux users on Google, so brand doesn't matter. Just want a drive that won't give me a lot of hassle. I'm hoping to use drive in a'mobile-rack', if that matters. Thanks.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You can install Linux on ANY hard drive, the brand has really nothing to do with it.... It is your Linux setup that has everything to do with it...
    Make sure your hard drive is partition right for the install..

3. Chahaoh

Chahaoh Geek Trainee

When I do a google search using specific hard drives+linux problems, I keep running across lots of complaints from Linux users about all the drives I'm considering. Usually seems it takes them lots of messing with the HDD, or even worse, altering the kernel tomake it work....none of which I would want to fool with. So far, I've run this search on:
    WD5000AAKB
    WD5000AAJB
    WD5000JB
    All turned up many problems. I'm hoping a Linux user can recommend a 500GB IDE/PATA HDD that actually works out of the box.

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleast Geek Trainee

I have heard that Samsung SSD's works really well with LINUX. I've searched this myself and HDD brands that is having problems with LINUX are WF and Seagate. However I rarely had encounter people complaining problems with LINUX on Samsung HDD or SSD. haven't used Linux that much. I've tried using it before but I forgot what brand of HDD I was using.