Hell @ –273.15 °C [–459.67 °F]: Microsoft to Announce Linux Partnership

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Impotence, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

"Microsoft is entering into an unusual partnership with Novell that gives a boost to Linux, people familiar with the companies tell WSJ.com. From the article: 'Under the pact, which isn't final, Microsoft will offer sales support of Suse Linux, a version of the operating system sold by Novell. The two companies have also agreed to develop technologies to make it easier for users to run both Suse Linux and Microsoft's Windows on their computers. The two companies are expected to announce details of their plan today at a press conference in San Francisco. In addition, Microsoft won't assert rights over patents over software technology that may be incorporated into Suse Linux, the people said. Businesses that use Linux have long worried that Microsoft would one day file patent infringement suits against sellers of the rival software.'"

And in other news...

* Duke Nukem Forever was released today.
    * Hell froze over.
    * SCO v. IBM trial over.
    * Apple uses Intel Processors.

oh wait, that last one is true...

Source: Slashdot: News for nerds, stuff that matters

2. Impotence

Let me be the first to say "OMFG WTF?"

And im sure the source code for winCE is also available....

i need to lie down

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Phase III of World Domination initiated...excellent.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Linux is too decentralized for MS to control so easily... but that won't stop them from trying!

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

no really though whats happening lately, i said this in a prior post, everyone is buying everybody. But really i'm not to down on the legalities and all that but like what are the pros' (if any) and cons of this happening. Really though if this works like its writtin, then that could also be an issue for all other Linux distros. That said man this is not the answer, see this is what happens when big companies like novel try to good stuff like Linux, they get greedy and will destroy everything with their greed. Really though this isn't what suppose to happen, your not suppose to have linux and then want to have windows, your suppose to have linux and not want windows but need it for 2 things. Really though i can see this ruining support for linux. MAN THIS IS NOT COOL, aaahhhh whats is going on

6. Addis

Addis The King

What is your point swansen? I don't really understand you.

This whole thing is not about individual users. Red Hat and Oracle don't primarily offer support for individuals like you and me, they offer support for enterprise. Companies who want to use Linux in their businesses, like in web servers, databases, clustered computing. Not for those people who dual boot Linux and Windows, they are insignificant in this context.

Novel can't destroy Linux, and neither can Microsoft. It's just not possible to control something like Linux as AT said.

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol thats really funny, um i didn't say anything about red hat, and this just seems like a step in the wrong directions for linux. Instead of trying to create their own apps and things so some one wouldn't need windows, Novel is just saying yeah ok we don't have everything oh well lets not try to work on that lets just have them have to have windows to. Thats my viewpoint on this.

8. Anti-Trend

If you were to put Novell's attitude in satirical terms: "Great, this will make our shareholders happy in the short term! But we're not really bright enough to do anything terribly innovative, and MS has a habit of completely destroying companies which partner with them. In other words, sell your stock now while it's relatively high!"

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol that made me laugh, and i dunno i don't really like novel or Suse, even before this, so hey maybe this will be good or something, not that i advocate the downfall of companies but i dunno, might get better less know distro's to get reconized

10. Impotence

I Hate Suse.... that little chameleon pis5ed me off to no end!

11. zeus

zeus out of date

12. Addis

Addis The King

Neither do I. My biggest worry is that which has plagued Novell and IBM, the intellectual property and patents.

13. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

that article makes no sense, this is really stupid, seriously way to smear Linux all up Novel you wieners, your chameleon can go to hell.

14. Impotence

now here's a scary thought....

If micro$oft where to acquire SUSE, and then use there patent portfolio against other distributions.... we can only hope IBM would kick there ass :p

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, the GPL would put some legal posts in the way to say the least. They couldn't lock the source code up like with Windows, given the whole 'Open Source' thing that tends to go with Linux distros. Microsoft could make a customized version of Linux, but---at least the way I'm understanding things to be---they couldn't charge for it. They could charge for support and customer care, and any proprietary apps that they made that weren't open source. However, if they released the OS, they'd have to include their non Open Source stuff on a separate supplemental CD, due to the GPL.

16. zeus

zeus out of date

17. Anti-Trend

They could charge for it, but the source code would have to be freely available. Futhermore, they could not integrate the GPL'ed code into closed-source apps, though they could include closed-source apps with Linux.

18. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

right, but i think thats the real issue, this goes back to people not really having any idea, people know windows, but have no idea what Linux is, so if SUSE is built in or comes as an option with windows people might not recognize Linux but instead see SUSE. That might be a little overboard but it could still hurt the Linux movement, as it would draw away from better distro's and skew what Linux really is, honestly i'm worried, i hope this doesn't ruin anything. That and i just thought of this, if this does happen to become a regular thing, it could ruin game support for Linux, ie. hey why make games specifically for Linux when some one can just switch to windows.

19. Addis

Addis The King

Game support isn't brilliant as it is now, so the extra publicity isn't bad for Linux. So what if people perceive Linux as SUSE? If they're adventurous enough to use it, then they're adventurous enough to learn about Mandriva and Ubuntu. If they have a misconception about Linux just being SUSE, screw them.

Did you mean "no one will use windows because people will switch to Linux?". Why on earth would anyone switch to Windows? It's like trading in your Ferrari for an old Skoda.

Edit: Although its not brilliant, SUSE isn't a bad distro. It has its flaws, but its still Linux underneath.

20. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yeah, i wasn't saying people would switch from linux to windows but it might just draw the wrong attention or something. Anyways just my thoughts