Help with usb ?

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by anty30, Jan 26, 2007.

1. anty30

anty30 Geek Trainee

Hi
    Ive just re-formatted my pc and because the windows home cd was scratched it came up with a file error and would not let me continue. I borrowed another xp cd but it was xp pro which installed perfectly, however I cant get the cpu to pick up anything usb ie:printer, camera, mp3. The usb hardware has been detected and device manager says it is working properly. But in other devices I have a big yellow question mark saying usb drivers not installed. Ive tried installing service pack 2 but at the end of the installation it comes up windows xp conflict verify?? Can any one please help?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Have you installed the drivers of the motherboard?

3. anty30

anty30 Geek Trainee

I re-installed windows xp pro then installed all drivers from my support cd inc usb 2.0. Im sure the motherboard driver(s) was 1 of them. I have no other obvious problem with any other aspect of the pc, just wont recognise any other devices inc usb. Would it maybe have anything to do with installing a different version of windows than the 1 that came with the pc?

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Right-click anywhere in the hardware list, and then click on Scan for hardware changes.

5. anty30

anty30 Geek Trainee

I'll try this when I get home later thanks.

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Whic Motherboard you have got?? You might find new chipset drivers on the manufactureres website...
    Also try this...Right Click on the drivers where that Yellow exclamation mark on the USB and uninstall the drivers..Restart your computer and your computer will autodetect the USB and autorun a wizard... Jst click next next and finish the wizard...!

7. anty30

anty30 Geek Trainee

Ive tried the uninstall and reboot. The wizard search's for the drivers and dosn't find them. I have a small partition of my hard drive with recovery drivers but it dosn't find anything on there. Also on the windows cd, nothing in there. Ive contacted the manufacturer (medion) and they are sending me a new recovery disk. So hopefully when that comes through I can solve the problem.

8. anty30

anty30 Geek Trainee

Ive been offered the use of an original copy xp Pro to install on my medion cpu. However, can i do this and validate it as it came with a dell pc or would I run into more problems?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If it's a straight copy of XP and not a restore disc, then yes. Microsoft doesn't care about the CD's as much as the liscence key. You use the same CD on 100 PC's so long as they have different keys.

10. anty30

anty30 Geek Trainee

Its a re-installation cd, is this a problem? If so what do I need to do? buy a new copy of Windows Xp?