hi!!, i'm new and i have a question...

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by fena2, Jun 28, 2008.

1. fena2

fena2 Geek Trainee

hi, my name is fernando and i'm from chile, well, finding in google i found your webpage, and i think it may be very useful :)

well...this si my question....

may i clean this....

[​IMG]

with this...?

[​IMG]

i don`t know if works....but i have to clean it....

thanks for your help folks! :)

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Why do you want to clean it?
    It looks fabulous! I bet you that if you wait a year or two you can auction it in Sotheby's for LOADS OF MONEY!!!!!

What was used to decorate this amazing abomination?
    Are these crayons or marker pens?

3. fena2

fena2 Geek Trainee

my brother did it with permanent markers (sharpie`s chinese bargain copycats)

well...the problem is my father: he`s really obssesed with cleaning, he have, at least, one bottle of every household cleaner in my house (including Clorox/Clorox2, Lysol, Mr Muscle) and he wants everyday that the house looks clean...and he goes mad when something is dirty or filled of spots or dust....

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, normal soap and water should be fine for cleaning. Something stronger might remove the paint, especially if used on a regular basis.

Be careful not to get whatever you clean with on the internal components. If you'll be using any sort of liquid, turn off the system and unplug it from the wall to avoid any accidental electrical shock.

5. fena2

fena2 Geek Trainee

ok...i tried to clean the metal caps with water and normal soap and....the soap does`t remove it....i think it be may too soft to remove marker spots (it`s dish liquid soap).....i tried with the Clorox Antifungus (and regular bleach) and the marker was decolorated....but still with the color...now i will try with all-purpose cleaner....

but...i still having a question....how i can clean the front of the case? (basically, it's only plastic)

PD: some friends told me that i have to use petrol or diesel, paint solvent or remover (they're really crazy), disinfectant air spray, detergent and much more....i'm not mad boys!

PD2: this is another question....have'nt any relationship with computing....what do you think about the LHC?

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yeah, gasoline is really corrosive, and would probably work, but it would eat the paint as well. You might try turpentine, "paint thinner" that might work, and not eat anything up. However, here is your problem, in a sense, your brother has basically painted your case. So you might have to paint over it, as permanent marker is in a sense paint.

7. fena2

fena2 Geek Trainee

turpentine? wow....well, i'll try to check if my mum have a bottle....

PD: All-purpose cleaner does'nt work!

8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

STOP!!!!!!!!

Some thinners/cleaners will eat your plastics!!!! The floppy bezel is plastic so please do not just use any cleaner on this part!

You need to find a cleaner, like white spirit (I am not sure what it is called in your neck of the woods - maybe paint brush cleaner?) which will remove spirit based paint without harming most surfaces.

:eek:

9. fena2

fena2 Geek Trainee

here is called aguarras tricolor, diluyente duco ceresita (it's paint solvent basically) etc....

my mother's bought a pack of disinfectant wipes....it works....with the display....my brother paints the display with whiteboard markers...so i'm ok with the display and the keyboard....(and smells like lavender, hahahaha)

well, i check if i have some solvent...

PD: what happen if i clean the front with acetone??, some friends told me about i'll NEVER clean plastic with acetone...why?

10. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Acetone is another harsh cleaner, it eats plastic as well, and my bad, i guess i should have said that turpentine would eat the plastic bits. So anyways, are you having any luck removing the marker???

11. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You will have to probably paint it, I don't think that any cleaner will remove permanent markers, I would get some good paint, that works with metal & plastic., then primer the whole case then paint.

12. teraformer

teraformer Geek Trainee

nail varnish remover gets rid of permanent marker :)
    You could try a small area to see if it has an adverse affect on the plastic first though :eek:
    GOOD LUCK!

13. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, nail polish remover will more than likely eat the plastic as well, honestly, like i was saying or ghostman, if you want to remedy this problem, your going to have to paint it. On that, don't be overwhelmed, its a really simple task, not to much to it, and it should only cost about $10.

14. teraformer

teraformer Geek Trainee

Just spray it black or silver and it will look brill :D