High pitched noise from Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by thomas234, Jun 19, 2006.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hi, After leaving my monitor on for an hour (ish) it starts to make a very high pitched squeaking noise thats only possible to stop if you turn it off or turn up the resolution (1600x1200). Also, it takes less than an hour if it's on a lower resolution (eg for games). When feeling the top, it doesn't seem to be hot, and theres noting on top (except for my webcam). It's been getting gradually worse over the past year, my friends monitor has also started doing it (except his is all the time :confused:), and we can't decide if they're going to break or not. Anyone any ideas as to what it could be, and whether they're on their way out?

Thanks, Thomas

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

You forgot to mention whether it's an LCD or CRT

I've got two Samsung CRT monitors and they both make odd noises, electrical buzzes, strange banging sounds and so on.

I think it's all part and parcel of a monitor with some miles on the clock :)

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i had high pitched noises coming from my old CRT monitor, next thing i knew the picture went blury and the monitor is no longer good for use, maybe it was becouse it was an Emachines monitor though?

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Sorry I forgot to mention it's a CRT. Perhaps it's time to start looking at new ones.

5. Addis

Addis The King

I use an old CRT monitor, it's a 17" one. When on 640x480 (i don't run at this resolution, only an exception) it makes a buzzing sound when on a light background. When I switch to a dark image it goes.

Just happens with these old monitors I guess.

6. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

Yeah my old CRT did the whining noise as well, to get rid of it I just switched it off and back on again untill the noise went away, which it eventally did.